Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum, but have enjoyed perusing some of the previous posts and getting to know the feel of the place.

I have a 2000 7.3L extended cab that I bought used. Used her on the farm HARD for all these years. Finally had to put a new motor in her a year and a half ago with who knows how many bajillion miles (the odometer quit at 150k 15 years ago). She's in super solid mechanical shape, but body-wise she's, "ahem", rough. Like capital ROUGH. The body panels are all there and the doors all work and all that, but I don't think there's one that's dent-free.

She's been with me a long time and has sentimental value to me. So after having fixed her up mechanically I'd like to fix her up to where I can drive around without looking like some sort of joke. She doesn't need to be dolled up like some show-wagon either. Just presentable.

Body work is not my specialty. I can bolt on a new bumper or whatever, but that's about it. I've never really priced body panels (why replace em, they're just gonna get dented again?) or any kind of work like that. Ballpark what would a guy be looking at to replace front fenders, there's a minor dent in the front of the hood that I think can be fixed, and the roof of the cab needs to be de-dented. I wouldn't need a show-worthy paint job, but something better than I could do.

Could a guy get something like that done for $5K? $10? I know it'll depend on area to some degree, but I really have no idea where to even begin.

Thanks guys, and look forward to lurking and listening.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You can probably get fenders from places like Rock Auto dot com or fleabay affordably.

Without seeing how bad it looks it will be a WAG to say how much it would cost. PDR would be a cheaper alternative if the paint is ok and the dent isn't too severe.

Sent from my LE2117 using Tapatalk

Reactions: TKR

·
Registered
2016 F350 Lariat SuperCab RWD 6.7 PSD
99 Posts
Hello FormerFarmer and welcome to the forum from N.E. Indiana!!! If the trucks good mechanically and you want to make her look presentable again, then get new panels, door skins, possibly remove some of the dents. It doesn't matter what it costs if that's what you want to do!!! If you don't need a car show paint job then put her in primer, very acceptable!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I just spent a few minutes on LMC Truck. They have some body panels, but LMC quality is usually ok for a farm truck, but not much more. Oh, wait...... Front fenders are $80, Tailgate is $250, Bed 1/4 panels are $450 each (not currently available), etc. They don't have doors (only rust patch panels) but the doors are the same from 99-2014, so you may find those used.

You can probably figure out how to change doors and fenders. Bed 1/4 panels will probably be a bit much for your skill set, but perhaps not. Watch a few you tubes, and I've never been in a farmer's shop that didn't have a welder.

The over-all rust situation must be taken into consideration. If the existing body panels are rotted, there isn't going to be much to weld to or bolt new doors onto. If it's just dents and dirt, the project may be worth contemplating. Look it over, assess your abilities to do what you can do, and consult a shop or two about getting them to assist you with the things you can't do. Like the roof, and overall paint.

And having taken on projects like this myself, in that I have done some that probably shouldn't have been started in the first place, consider these things: Sentimental value is important. This will be on the "pro-project side". On the "should I really be considering this?" side is the cost of the make-over, the utility you'll get from keeping the truck (do you NEED a diesel pick-up for your needs and lifestyle), your age (how long do you have left to enjoy and benefit from the finished project). As far a s costs, do your research, make your BEST estimate, then double that, and if you anticipate it taking over a year, add another 25%. You'll be surprisingly close to your estimate, as long as you double it.

There's some ideas. Welcome to the .org.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@ppine I can weld. I'm pretty good at it for farm applications. Body work is a different animal, though. We don't have a lot of gauge thickness metal on the farm, and if we do it gets replaced with something with a little more gravity in it. So while, yes, I CAN weld, I know that not all welding is created equal. I'm not scared to try something like this, it's just something I've never done.

·
Registered
2016 F350 Lariat SuperCab RWD 6.7 PSD
99 Posts
@ppine I can weld. I'm pretty good at it for farm applications. Body work is a different animal, though. We don't have a lot of gauge thickness metal on the farm, and if we do it gets replaced with something with a little more gravity in it. So while, yes, I CAN weld, I know that not all welding is created equal. I'm not scared to try something like this, it's just something I've never done.
You can do it!!!! HaHaHa!!! I couldn't resist, hey if the truck means that much to you, give it a try! It will be worth it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts