Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a good selection of hand tools and mechanical skill. About how long to install a Sinister EGR delete kit and new oil cooler? Any tricks I should know? :thumb:

·
Air Assault!!
716 Posts
I have heard this is a full weekend job. Haven't done it myself but i can see how it would be....

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope not! I figured 8-10 hours.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
It depends. If you've taken your turbo off and on before I can see the oil cooler and EGR cooler being replaced in 8-10 hours. If you haven't ripped into the engine to that level before, I would plan on 10-14 hours.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Looks like I am getting ready to tackle this job on my 03. Are there any special tools that will make it easier?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I replaced the oil cooler twice. The second time I removed the radiator, fan shroud and fan which made it so much easier for the old bones to move around in there. If you go that route get the fan clutch tool to remove the fan clutch, otherwise nothing special, just GOOD quality tools. A 6 point 10mm socket will be very helpful to get that rear turbo bolt out. Even with Snap-on, I rounded it off and needed bolt-out's.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It took me about 10 hrs total.

Get an intake manifold gasket kit. It will have all of the o-rings and gaskets for the stuff you have to remove to get the manifold off.

Doing the oil cooler rebuild is a wise thing while you at it since it requires the intake manifold to be off to get to it. If you do the oil cooler, you'll need to get a replacement oil filter screen that sits in the bottom of the oil reservoir beneath the oil cooler. It's about $10 at the dealer and doesn't come with the rebuild kit.

I took my intake manifold to the local DIY car wash and alternated between engine cleaner and high pressure rinse; blasting every port.

My best friend on that job was a socket ratchet with a rotating ratcheting handle. It was a major help. In some places you don't have much room to move the ratchet back to reset it. With a rotating ratcheting handle, you just twist the handle to reset it and work it again. You'll also need a socket swivel knuckle and a variety extensions.

I used PB Blaster (soak em early and often) and a propane torch on the nuts and bolts that connect the exhaust manifold to the up-pipe. Then again, I did mine in the middle of winter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts