Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wonderding how much RPM is to much for these engines. I run Vivians Looney tune, at WOT it shifts at 4150, is that to much, or is that fine?

Thanks, Carl

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
I would say that that is the "Limit". The factory redline is 4000 rpms. The risk you run with RPMS that high is causing your LPOP gears to explode when the RPMS get over 4k. I recommend that you contact Vivian and have her lower your redline to 4k or even 3900 if it would make you feel safer.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, It seemed a little high, but ya never know. I think I can adjust it with my tuner, I seen something in the parameter options for max rpm, its set at 4150 and thats what it shifts at.

Thanks, Carl

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
You can adjust it with the sct. 4150 is just fine. She wouldn't be sending tunes out with a redline that breaks stuff. I've hit 4800 many times with mine. I know people who have gone 5000+ on stock internals. Mine is set at 4500.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jeez! Im waiting for parts to go flying at 4k, 4500 has to be rediculous! Gotta be pretty loud too! I know mine is at 4K

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
I would get a second opinion just to be sure (I am sure you will. Someone else will chime in.) IMO RPMS over 4k seem like unnecessary risk of damage to the motor since you are past the power peak and way past the torque peak so I dont see the need to run the motor that fast. But I could be missing something so hopefully someone will set me straight if I am wrong.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha, Ill agree with you there, but my 6 uh oh may not like it. Lol It already took one turbo out, my 2nd just went after 3,000 miles, and now it misses pulling the trailer after it sits for a couple hours..I dont wanna wreck anything else!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Good grief! And here I've been nervous about pushing mine to 3000!!! I feel a little better now! I'm used to the 7.3 and 5.9s... they don't do high RPMs! Apparently the 6.0 does! I keep learning on here... thanks for the question!

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
I LOVE to push my Fords. lol 64 Galaxie (390 Stroker) goes 6000+ RPM. 93 Mustang (5.0 bascily) goes 6500 RPM with stock rod bolts (small). My 6.0 shifts at 4100! It loves it!

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Good grief! And here I've been nervous about pushing mine to 3000!!! I feel a little better now! I'm used to the 7.3 and 5.9s... they don't do high RPMs! Apparently the 6.0 does! I keep learning on here... thanks for the question!
My 7.3 slams the limiter at 3500 and LOVES it. :thumb: I like float shifting it at 3500. :woot::icon_ford:

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
My rev limiter is set to 4450.

I have a roush mustang with a built 4.6-that rev limiter is set to 7400, and it SCREAMS.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Mine has been to 4650 more than once. 4150 is just pulling hard--LOL.

·
Registered
314 Posts
you guys are crazy but i like it!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
IMO RPMS over 4k seem like unnecessary risk of damage to the motor since you are past the power peak and way past the torque peak so I dont see the need to run the motor that fast.
you are right you are past the peak HP and WAY past the peak torque but the higher you rev means that when you shift the RPMs fall back closer to the peak HP making you faster.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Back in the day I built a big journal balanced 327 that would tap 9500 rpm pretty regularly. Was used in a sportsman class oval tracker. Sounded incredible. My ISB in the Dodge sees 4k every once in a while...straight piped...it's nuts!

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I built a 302 using a 327 block and a destroked crank just for the revs (chevy). There's just something about a v8 screaming that I never tire of.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts