Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
722 Posts
around 5-15 is proly all you will see. Duno were to get them though. I have been told it realy sucks to do on the SD's since the idm is so hard to get to and not much of a gain. But thats just what i have herd im a obs guy

·
Registered
250 Posts
Radio Shack

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
Do not use Radio Shack resistors! They will fail and leave you stranded. Digikey.com is where you need to get them. The instructions are here: IDM Mod

The origional Joe_Servo FAQ sheet is here: Powerstroke Diesel IDM mod

·
What u talkin bout willis
2,724 Posts
IS IT SOMETHING THAT IS WORTH TO DO ON A SD OR IS IT JUST ONE OF THOSE MODS TO DO WHENEVER THE NEXT TIME I GET A HAIR UP MY @SS AND DECIDE TO PULL MY FENDER FOR NO REASON

·
Registered
521 Posts
what will this do to my MPG's?? will it hurt it?

Thanks strokin_early_99 for the great sites
From what I have heard it won't reduce your MPG. By upping the voltage, you make the poppet valve open faster. I don't know or think it will reduce the life of the injector.

beyond that, it will give you better throttle responce, and maybe quicker acceleration.
I don't believe HP increase, cause your fuel is atomized by the HPOP, not the poppet valve. All it does is allow the HPO to enter the injector and push on the intensifier piston.

And all this is what I got from Mike CLeary's class. And that is my :twocents:
And I would rather have a chip, then do this mod.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From what I have heard it won't reduce your MPG. By upping the voltage, you make the poppet valve open faster. I don't know or think it will reduce the life of the injector.

beyond that, it will give you better throttle responce, and maybe quicker acceleration.
I don't believe HP increase, cause your fuel is atomized by the HPOP, not the poppet valve. All it does is allow the HPO to enter the injector and push on the intensifier piston.

And all this is what I got from Mike CLeary's class. And that is my :twocents:
And I would rather have a chip, then do this mod.

thanks for the info, I already have a chip too

·
Registered
959 Posts

You are correct that is helps open the popit valve quicker. This is where you get your performance gains. The longer the popit valve is open the more oil it will let pass and the more fuel you will get. However you could also just ask for a slight bit more pulse width with a chip to get the same effect.

I don't see how it's going to hurt the injectors unless the voltage gets cranked WAY up but even at that they are on for such a small period of time I just don't see how it's going to do any dammage.

The HPOP does not atomize the fuel. The fuel is atomized by going through the nozzle. The HPOP just supplies the oil to push the intensifier piston down so that the fuel gets injected.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
You need to very carefully read the instructions. It is in there.

When you mod your truck, you can only blame the one staring at you in the mirror.

·
Registered
280 Posts
E-series = IDM 110. 94-97 F-series = IDM 100. 99-03 F-series = IDM 120

To convert IDM 120 to 140 you need a 73.2k ohm resistor. .5w 1%.

Digi-Key - PPC73.2KXCT-ND (Vishay/BC Components - SFR16S0007322FR500)

If you come up with an old IDM 100 or 110, they both take a 75k.

Digi-Key - PPC75.0KXCT-ND (Vishay/BC Components - SFR16S0007502FR500)

i got a few of them resistors if you would like one...send me a PM with a mailing address and ill send one out.. you should have the 120 IDM and need the 73.2k resistor but double check......i have a few of them and the 75k resistors

1 - 13 of 13 Posts