Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

· Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I may be taking a 6 hour trip to pickup a load in PA. I would be taking a bumper pull tandum axle 25' deckover 10,000# axles. Does it sound too much putting around 18k on it and towing it back 6 hours? I do have a nice size helper leaf spring pack on my truck, but I don't know if 20k plus the trailer would be too much. I do have a gooseneck hitch, but no trailer, and I don't have the money to throw at a new trailer that will tow 20k. I don't have gauges, I would be buying that torque app until I can get gauges, which would be before the next load.

· Registered
1,252 Posts
Do you have a built trans, good brake controller, good truck brakes, good bit of towing experience? I don't think I would do it without a gooseneck trailer. I pulled our work dump trailer 7k pound axles with my truck and have weighed in at 24k and 25k total. Trans temp got up to 210-215 both times after I got off highway because of stop and go at lights and stop signs. Trans temp was around 170-175 on highway at 60-65 mph. Did have a little bit of chucking if I hit a decent bump in the road. Assuming the trailer weighs about 6-7k (?) and your truck is around 7k (?) plus your 18k on the trailer you're looking somewhere in the neighborhood of 36k. I really wouldn't do that with a bumper pull. I would also definitely invest in some gauges. If you decide to do this anyway don't use overdrive, expect to drive 50-55 and suck down some diesel. Is it possible to borrow a gooseneck or rent a gooseneck for the trip?

· Premium Member
24,346 Posts
I've been up to 19k on a bumper trailer, do you have a WD hitch? 36k gross is gonna be a lot to get moving (or stopped :eek:hnoes:) take it slow and make sure you don't put to much of that weight on the tongue, don't think the factory hitch is even rated for that

· Registered
1,252 Posts
I've been up to 19k on a bumper trailer, do you have a WD hitch? 36k gross is gonna be a lot to get moving (or stopped :eek:hnoes:) take it slow and make sure you don't put to much of that weight on the tongue, don't think the factory hitch is even rated for that
:ditto: Hey look, someone else who spells their name Kris with K. Also from GA, our moms know each other??? lol.

· Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have stock trans, just replaced front rotors and pads, good controller, and experience towing pumped pulls non pintle hitch, where the trailer I would take has a pintle. I also have the stock reciever that came with the camper package. The weight would be pretty evenly despersed, but I can try and center it over the axles.

· Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Would i be breaking any laws? I would be avoiding toll roads so no turnpike. Also I don't have a wd hitch, nor do i think the trailer has the setup for it. I'm calling places local looking for gooseneck trailer for rent. Any ideas on where to look?

· Registered
1,252 Posts
Would i be breaking any laws? I would be avoiding toll roads so no turnpike. Also I don't have a wd hitch, nor do i think the trailer has the setup for it. I'm calling places local looking for gooseneck trailer for rent. Any ideas on where to look?

Legally you'll be over your GVWR and no CDL (unless you have one). Also depending on how you load the trailer you could be over your legal RAWR. Sorry I don't know where you would need to look for a gooseneck rental. Could try craigslist though, I've seen one for rent on the Atlanta craigslist. Probably a long shot but you never know. IMO a pintle hitch doesn't tow any different than a ball hitch if your controller is set up correctly.

· Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So do you think a cop will pull me over thinking I'm over capacity or just if they want to be an *** type of desk? Are you saying just use the pintle?

· Registered
1,252 Posts
A lot of variables on whether or not you'll get pulled over for weight speculation. Is this a personal haul, commercial haul and what are you hauling if you don't mind me asking. If what you're hauling looks extremely heavy chances are probably higher for getting pulled over. If its not all that big size wise and just a lot of weight chances are probably lower because it doesn't look like you're overweight. Use plenty of straps/chains so it looks better in the eyes of DOT. If a gooseneck isn't really an option and you need to use the bumper pull go for it, just be mindful of how you load it and take your time. To much tongue weight and you'll be sagging. To much weight behind trailer axles and that's gonna be some nasty fishtailing.

· Registered
920 Posts
I would be worried about your bumper hitch/ball than I would anything else. If it were me, it would be gooseneck or no deal with that kind of weight.

· Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is 20 7.3 engines, so it wouldn't look too bad. The load is for me, not a company or anything.

· Registered
235 Posts
I would check to see what you are registered to haul on the truck and trailer license. Here you have to register your truck and trailer for what ever weight you are going to pull. Like mine I have to have it at a minimum of 5 tons because of the GVWR of the truck. I have hauled a 40,000 lbs. Boat behind a F550 on a special trailer a few times. But it was on a gooseneck too. So as far as the truck physically pulling it you shouldn't have a problem. A brake controller is your best friend for stopping. Good luck.

· Registered
1,252 Posts
If it were me I would load it like this. If the trailer is a dovetail than it could be a little interesting. First row of engines slightly forward of front axle. Maybe half of the engine? You determine the best when you get there. Second row of engines right behind it being slightly forward of the rear axle. Count how many engines you have left and place them evenly in front of first row and behind second row. If you have an odd number put the last one in front. The interesting part is if you have a dove tail you need to make sure that the engines wont slide or during transit because of the slope of dove tail. I would have that game plan figured out before you even left your house because 6 hour one way to find out you can't load it correctly would suck. Straps and/or chains to secure everything. If you wanted to you could get a heavy duty tarp from Home Depot or Lowes and cover your engines to keep eyes off. Make sure the tarp is tied down well and is not flopping and flying around. That one gets a lot of funny looks going down the road :doh:

Again be safe, use a good pintle hook and maybe air bags unless this is just a one time deal. :dunno:

· Registered
1,252 Posts
I would check to see what you are registered to haul on the truck and trailer license. Here you have to register your truck and trailer for what ever weight you are going to pull. Like mine I have to have it at a minimum of 5 tons because of the GVWR of the truck. I have hauled a 40,000 lbs. Boat behind a F550 on a special trailer a few times. But it was on a gooseneck too. So as far as the truck physically pulling it you shouldn't have a problem. A brake controller is your best friend for stopping. Good luck.
You probably had 4.56's maybe even 4.88's in your axle helping you out. Not to say his truck can't pull it because it will, but it will put more stress on it.

· Premium Member
24,346 Posts
:ditto: Hey look, someone else who spells their name Kris with K. Also from GA, our moms know each other??? lol.
Folks are from WV, so maybe :dunno:

I'm hoping you find a way to add a WD hitch

· Premium Member
13,245 Posts
i agree with kris try and find a way to get a WD hitch on there, switch to a 2 5/16 ball. not sure if you can make the brackets fit on the trailer though.

what is the GVWR of your truck and trailer? over 26000 you need a CDL. though you can probably get by without it if you are careful and don't look like you are illegal

· Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As far as gearing, I only have 3.73s, so that wont be in my favor... Good idea on the tarp, I think I will be doing that, and yes this will most likely be a one time deal, unless I see that they have a plentiful amount of 7.3 engines, I may come back another time. Of course I would add air bags and gauges, and look into purchasing my own gooseneck trailer. I found a rental gooseneck at the Cleveland branch Xtra Trailer Leasing which happens to be 5 minutes away, I pass it daily and forgot about it completely. They want $175 a day and $0.12 a mile. That comes out to $440.23. A little more then wanted, that's a lot of money out of my pocket. Also, I would be weighing in at about 34K, but engines are smaller than a car or something, so it probably wouldn't look to heavy.

· Premium Member
13,245 Posts
how bout renting a big ryder/penske/budget truck? more money, yes, but might do what you want better as well.

· Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
im trying to keep the expenses of going there and back as cheap as possible, I am really crossing my fingers that I would go from here to there and back without breaking something. I thought about renting one of those trucks, but I couldn't do the cost.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.