Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I have decided to upgrade my 2001, F-350 7.3, with exhaust, programer and a cold air intake. Though I am in the very beginning stages, i'm still uncertain which programer to buy. Regardless, what limits should I be watching for in the way boost and exhaust temperature. I realize each of these are extremly critical to the preservation of the motor, however, I am new and don't know the limits yet. Bolting on parts is easy, learning the science behind it is the difficult part.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Recently I have decided to upgrade my 2001, F-350 7.3, with exhaust, programer and a cold air intake. Though I am in the very beginning stages, i'm still uncertain which programer to buy. Regardless, what limits should I be watching for in the way boost and exhaust temperature. I realize each of these are extremly critical to the preservation of the motor, however, I am new and don't know the limits yet. Bolting on parts is easy, learning the science behind it is the difficult part.

Thank

Get tony Wildman or Dp tuner for a chip, and gauges

·
Registered
1,726 Posts

Thanks
TW or DP Tuner for a chip, they are the best out there for the 7.3. You can either strait pipe your stock exhaust which will work, or get a 4" turbo back kit which is the best. As for the EGT's 1200 or so is safe, anything above that can be trouble. You are safe going over that for short periods of time. Your stock turbo is good to 25ish psi, anything higher and its blowin hot air and will decrease its life. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
TW or DP Tuner for a chip, they are the best out there for the 7.3. You can either strait pipe your stock exhaust which will work, or get a 4" turbo back kit which is the best. As for the EGT's 1200 or so is safe, anything above that can be trouble. You are safe going over that for short periods of time. Your stock turbo is good to 25ish psi, anything higher and its blowin hot air and will decrease its life. :thumb:

I can get over 25psi now, if i'm going 95mph

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
thats great, but still anything over 25 psi is hard on it. I can get well over 25 but i dont.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The most I ever push is 25.1 and I rarely do it.

As far as EGT's go 1200-1400 is about the highest you wanna go but I have heard 1600 is when things go boom!

Exhaust, I would check with Farmboys diesel on this site, he usually has great deals on budget 4 inch turbo back exhausts.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one who can hit 30 with a fairly stock truck....I thought my gauge was wrong for awhile

Luke

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
EGT's should not go over 1250* for any lenght of time. Short bursts, like drag racing, is common to see 1500-1600*. It will not go boom if you go over 1600* or I would have been walking home from a few drag races. Over 26psi is where I say the turbo goes way out of it's efficeiency range and starts pumping hot air.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts