Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My poor '93 IDI's been beyond the term "neglected". My wife & I knew after we bought it off some guy that had no clue about diesels(or general vehicle maintainence for that matter), that the Tank was gonna need some TLC......well yesterday & today, I found out exactly how much TLC the Tank needs. To give you a clue as to how much: :(:tard::crazy::banging::buttkick::thud::Rant: :nutkick: . Get the point? So anyway, here's a list of what I'm up against. The whole project is gonna cost a pretty penny over a nickel & soon, I'll try to get some pics of why these parts need to be replaced. So here it is, the long list that just shows how much I love my IDI.

R/L front rotors
R/L U/L ball joints
R/L locking hubs
R/L outer tie-rods
R/L adjusting sleeves
Inner drag link
R/L brake pads
R/L dust shields
R/L axles & u-joints
R/L hub seals
Front driveshaft u-joints
Rear driveshaft u-joints
Rear brake drums
Rear brake shoes
Shoe spring kit
complete cat-back exhaust(current exhaust is definitely for a gasser @ 2.5")
Driver's door switch
Possible rear fuel tank(original owner said he never used it!)
General maint.(oil, filter, fuel filt, etc.)
Fuel(with the above parts list in dire need, she sucks fuel down like it's going outta style!)

& that's it. Just for the front-end alone, it's gonna be about $580 before tax. Believe it or not, with the whole bill for everything tallied up, it still doesn't exceed the price we bought the truck for. It's really sad when a perfectly good diesel truck falls into the wrong hands of a person who should've been driving a hybrid where he wouldn't have to worry about actual moving parts. I'm happy I found the Tank when I did. It's still a great truck, but if the previous owner kept it any longer, it would've been bound for the heap.:(

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,738 Posts
I wanna see what it looks like!

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wanna see what it looks like!
I've got a couple of shoddy pics I took today. I'll upload them as soon as I get a good shot of where the knuckle goes into the I-beam.:thumb:

·
Registered
322 Posts
sounds like you have your work cut out for you but its a labor of love. And I do mean a labor. good luck

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
We needs pics right now!

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
What kind of fuel economy are you getting? If its really bad, anything less than say 14mpg there are a couple of things to address. Your injectors could be going bad, causing a bad spray pattern. Or the other main one which is your timing is off. If it is to far retarded your hp and fuel economy will suffer.

But that sounds like a decent list. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
damn that thing is clean. my uncle has an 86. i have driven it a bunch of times, lacking in the power department but everytime i drive that thing i get more looks in it then i do driving my superduty :hehe:

garage kept since new, drives it everyday but puts it away..last time i saw it had 448,XXX. purrs like a kitten

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all, guys, for the support! My camera really sucks & the amount of light it takes to get a decent shot is tough to get, especially the side of the house my garage is on. I've got 2 shots right now of the driver's side disassembled & another of a Rubberneck bin I have full of the parts I lugged to NAPA to get matched. I wanted to get some deep-down, knitty-gritty shots of what everything looks like up close, but as soon as poke my head inside the wheel well with the camera, I'm looking @ black. I'll get those 2 shots posted up soon & I've got a buddy coming over tomorrow with a camera with far better quality & I'll get the scoop for everyone as soon as I can.:thumb:

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, here's some pics. Don't forget now; my camera is the absolute worst piece of South Korean junk I've every owned. I'll try to narrate the best I can:

Here's the Tankster all tore down, haven't put my tools or the weasel piss away, yet.

My "bin-o-parts". Inside here is pretty much everything that needs to be replaced. You see; the rotor(& the seal in there somewhere), inner drag link, adjusting sleeves(still on drag link & tie-rods), tie-rods, there's my hub floating somewhere around in there, U/L ball joints, brake pads, etc. Keep in mind, with the exception of the steering, everything you see for now is the driver's side. Gotta do this as paychecks allow.

Close-up of the I beam with no guts.

This is basically what's left of the driver's side dust shield....the rest is basically a rust pile my wife swept up.

Notice something funny? No steering components!.....& a front diff soaked in weasel piss!

The steering knuckle, one of the very few parts that gets to stay. The upper ball joint was a PITA to get out & the lower just fell out when I sneezed on it!

The axle shaft, another keeper...........as soon as I can figure how to pop out the broken snap-rings in the u-joint caps.

The locking hub..............DESTROYED! New WARN pieces on the way!

The spline cover for the axle that bolts to the knuckle. Even though it's being kept, it needs some serious resurfacing.

Something wrong? Of course there is. You might not be able to read that tape, but it says 2 1/2". You guessed it! The previous owner had a gas exhaust installed. I need @ least 3".

Here's that door switch I need to replace, &....

...this is where it goes.

This one's for Jarrod; yup...still didn't get the parking brake cable fixed. Go ahead, let's hear your worst.

·
Beach Bum
26,652 Posts
Well, here's some pics. Don't forget now; my camera is the absolute worst piece of South Korean junk I've every owned. I'll try to narrate the best I can:

Here's the Tankster all tore down, haven't put my tools or the weasel piss away, yet.

My "bin-o-parts". Inside here is pretty much everything that needs to be replaced. You see; the rotor(& the seal in there somewhere), inner drag link, adjusting sleeves(still on drag link & tie-rods), tie-rods, there's my hub floating somewhere around in there, U/L ball joints, brake pads, etc. Keep in mind, with the exception of the steering, everything you see for now is the driver's side. Gotta do this as paychecks allow.

Close-up of the I beam with no guts.

This is basically what's left of the driver's side dust shield....the rest is basically a rust pile my wife swept up.

Notice something funny? No steering components!.....& a front diff soaked in weasel piss!

The steering knuckle, one of the very few parts that gets to stay. The upper ball joint was a PITA to get out & the lower just fell out when I sneezed on it!

The axle shaft, another keeper...........as soon as I can figure how to pop out the broken snap-rings in the u-joint caps.

The locking hub..............DESTROYED! New WARN pieces on the way!

The spline cover for the axle that bolts to the knuckle. Even though it's being kept, it needs some serious resurfacing.

Something wrong? Of course there is. You might not be able to read that tape, but it says 2 1/2". You guessed it! The previous owner had a gas exhaust installed. I need @ least 3".

Here's that door switch I need to replace, &....

...this is where it goes.

This one's for Jarrod; yup...still didn't get the parking brake cable fixed. Go ahead, let's hear your worst.
you expect me to strain my eyes on little pics? :hehe:

jk

looks good! keep us updated. and get that pbrake fixed :thumb: makes me want to replace my dust covers. :crazy:

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you expect me to strain my eyes on little pics? :hehe:

jk

looks good! keep us updated. and get that pbrake fixed :thumb: makes me want to replace my dust covers. :crazy:
I will! New parts finally come in tomorrow & I can get started on it either Thu, Fri, or the whole weekend. Then after that comes the pass side, both driveshafts, & I'll have enough $$$ to do both sides on the rear brakes.:thumb:

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Progress Report

Well, this fix is a little tougher than I thought......not as far as the condition of the truck or parts but how hard it is to find a parts place to get the right parts:mad:. The only thing that's been done easily is the ball joints. Any monkey can find these easy enough. Now my new problem's been the rotor, hub cover, & the dust shield. I had originally gone to NAPA to get all the parts. So far, the ball joints, inner drag link, adjusting sleeves, & tie rods are right. When I was getting ready to put the rotor & hub spline cover on, I noticed the stock spline cover for the hub was much larger than the new one. My wife went to NAPA for me to try & get the right one & of course, she was there for about 1/2 hour waiting for them to look it up through the computer & parts catalogs. They told her it looked like she had to go to Ford to buy them. They also couldn't get the dust shields & claimed they couldn't get the hubs either.

On her next day off, she went to the local Ford truck center & they told her that Ford no longer manufactures that style spline cover anymore, but the piece she had was still usable. She also ordered WARN hubs which had a NAPA sticker on them & are the same exact set I purchased for my '01 PSD that I bought from NAPA. So, so much for NAPA not being "able to get them". They also had the dust cover "in stock" which, when I tried to put it on, I found out it's for the passenger side:doh:. Idiots. The only other thing that went right is my friend had an air compressor to put the spline cover on the new rotor without incident.

Basically, it's still a battle. I don't know if it's a combination of parts people'
s idiocy or Ford's for having 4 different possible configurations.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
keep up the good work cory!!!! next time ask em for glow plugs for a cummings to see what they do :hehe:
They'll say, "Cummings...? Who's that? OH you mean Cummins.....waaaait a minute." :hehe:

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Radar you're gonna have a slick machine when you get everything done.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
go to broncograveyard.com go to fullsize option in the menu and go under dana 60, they have the brake sheilds (they will fit the dana 50 you have)

Also check out 4WD Factory

I am in the same boat, i am swapping in a straight axle into my truck and getting rid of that ttb piece of crap, and im rebuilding the straight axle before it goes in. Almost all of the im getting i bought online simply because no on carries them. Most of the Dana 60 parts wsill inter change with the Dana 50

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Radar you're gonna have a slick machine when you get everything done.
Thanks, TST! It's a slow but sure process. I'm hoping I can get both sides done before my wife & my anniversary(this coming weekend!:doh:)
keep up the good work cory!!!! next time ask em for glow plugs for a cummins to see what they do :hehe:
?????????????:confused:
go to broncograveyard.com go to fullsize option in the menu and go under dana 60, they have the brake sheilds (they will fit the dana 50 you have)

Also check out 4WD Factory

I am in the same boat, i am swapping in a straight axle into my truck and getting rid of that ttb piece of crap, and im rebuilding the straight axle before it goes in. Almost all of the im getting i bought online simply because no on carries them. Most of the Dana 60 parts wsill inter change with the Dana 50
Thanks, man. I'll check it out!:thumb:

1 - 20 of 72 Posts