Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I'd like to sell it sooner rather than later, but I may be able to be a bit flexible depending on the timeframe. I am fairly strict on cash. I do need to the money for more important things unfortunately.
Pick a bottom dollar figure and hold on to that, list the truck higher and see who bites and is willing to pay more. If time drags on and it's not sold in a time that works for you then sell it for less, but don't go less than your bottom dollar figure.
Ok. Thank you for the advice. I think that's what I'll end up doing.

Kinda afraid it won't sell for enough though, being an extended cab and all. Wish they weren't as "bad" as the crew cabs.

·
Registered
108 Posts
How do you tell it needs replacing? It shifts firmly, no slipping. Doesn't make noise or anything.
You should easily get 10-11k for it if you gotta dump it. 12-14 if you wanna hold out. 15-16 if you find the guy who just has to have it.

I wouldn't worry too much about the trans, I had two 99s. One has 167,000 original trans. Serviced and replaced TQ converter at 150,000. It's running great The other 99 was a service truck. 240,000 miles never did anything other than required services. Oil changes, trans flushes, tire brakes. Some jerk stole it.

Remove the accessories and sell separately. Camper, programmer etc. clean the truck well and get a sale price you're happy with. Add 1-1500 to negotiate with. My buddy bought and sold a few 7.3s in Washington. He lives up there and said 7.3s are holding value well up there

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
You should easily get 10-11k for it if you gotta dump it. 12-14 if you wanna hold out. 15-16 if you find the guy who just has to have it.

I wouldn't worry too much about the trans, I had two 99s. One has 167,000 original trans. Serviced and replaced TQ converter at 150,000. It's running great The other 99 was a service truck. 240,000 miles never did anything other than required services. Oil changes, trans flushes, tire brakes. Some jerk stole it.

Remove the accessories and sell separately. Camper, programmer etc. clean the truck well and get a sale price you're happy with. Add 1-1500 to negotiate with. My buddy bought and sold a few 7.3s in Washington. He lives up there and said 7.3s are holding value well up there
Yeah, the trans seems to be holding up fine in my truck.. no issues what-so-ever.

Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking. I'm thinking I'm going to leave the exhaust (duh.. lol), intake, and gauges, but pull the chip out and sell that guy separately. I'm thinking of just selling the canopy with the truck. At this point, I'm thinking I'm gonna list for either $14.5k or $14k and see what happens. If I don't have any takers within a week or 2, think I'll maybe drop it down to $13k or so, maybe lower.

I'm just crossing my fingers.. It's been a great, reliable truck. I'd just hate to let it go for less than I know I could get for it.. and no, I'm not one of those a**hats that asks $20k for these things lol :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yeah, the trans seems to be holding up fine in my truck.. no issues what-so-ever.

Yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking. I'm thinking I'm going to leave the exhaust (duh.. lol), intake, and gauges, but pull the chip out and sell that guy separately. I'm thinking of just selling the canopy with the truck. At this point, I'm thinking I'm gonna list for either $14.5k or $14k and see what happens. If I don't have any takers within a week or 2, think I'll maybe drop it down to $13k or so, maybe lower.

I'm just crossing my fingers.. It's been a great, reliable truck. I'd just hate to let it go for less than I know I could get for it.. and no, I'm not one of those a**hats that asks $20k for these things lol :D
14.5 sounds like a good start price. My 99 has a snugtop camper and it cost about 3200 bucks. They are not cheap. Personally to me selling price is what the market will bear. Whenever I sold a vehicle I cleaned it well. Removed any personal items or things I wanted to keep. Everything worked. I don't abuse my vehicles. I placed a ad (usually in Auto trader because IMO you get a different buyer than CL) got all my maintenance records and ownership paperwork, title slip, safety or smog check etc and then waited for a call. I tend to ignore the over the phone price negotiations. I just don't waste the time. I tell people if they want to make a offer they need to make it cash in hand. 95% of the callers are no shows. I meet at a local AAA office to transfer ownership as I want the vehicle out of my name completely)
Camper shells depending on brand sell for anywhere between 7-1200. Theckast set if tires I got mpfirvmy SRW trucks hovered around 800 bucks. My dually was 1600 for 7 tires mounting balance tax road hazard etc.
Personally I wouldn't be in a hurry to sell. I never sell anything in a hurry. I had cars sell in two days and I had cars sell in 30 days. But the most I had to drop in price was 2-400 bucks. Anyone offering thousands less is wasting your time. These trucks are in high demand. And yours doesn't sound like it got beat on. I would hold stay close to that 14k asking price. I've seen some beat to hell 7.3s and people are asking 9-11k with 250-300k miles.
What you need to do when you sell is point out the positive things you do have on the truck, no accidents, new tires, camper, gauges, clean interior and exterior, low miles. And if someone says well this guy is selling his for less tell them that's fine. They can go buy that one.
Good luck with your sale

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
Don't they only book for 8-9k? 12-16k sounds like a high asking price.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Don't they only book for 8-9k? 12-16k sounds like a high asking price.

Bluebook means nothing. These trucks are still in huge demand. And in some areas demand is higher than other areas.. You would be surprised what a clean low mile 99-04 7.3 can demand. I see them ranging from 6/7k in beat condition to 10/15/20/25/30 anywhere from daily driver some issues to low mile great condition one owner garage baby. Really comes down to what someone is willing to pay.
Even as a extra cab op should be able to pull 12/13K for it. Just because some guy in Alabama or Ohio is only willing to pay 10-11K doesnt mean someone from Texas wont pay 13/14 K.

When I sold my boat I was getting stupid offers. I held on and the guy who bought it drove 3/400 miles to get it. We agreed to 500 bucks under my asking price. Took 60 days to sell it. All the other local offers were 1--11K which were about 7K under blue book and 5 under my asking price. I was only selling it because we had no time to use it. Everyone assumes because its for sale the seller must be hard up for cash.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
Bluebook means nothing. These trucks are still in huge demand. And in some areas demand is higher than other areas.. You would be surprised what a clean low mile 99-04 7.3 can demand. I see them ranging from 6/7k in beat condition to 10/15/20/25/30 anywhere from daily driver some issues to low mile great condition one owner garage baby. Really comes down to what someone is willing to pay.
Even as a extra cab op should be able to pull 12/13K for it. Just because some guy in Alabama or Ohio is only willing to pay 10-11K doesnt mean someone from Texas wont pay 13/14 K.

When I sold my boat I was getting stupid offers. I held on and the guy who bought it drove 3/400 miles to get it. We agreed to 500 bucks under my asking price. Took 60 days to sell it. All the other local offers were 1--11K which were about 7K under blue book and 5 under my asking price. I was only selling it because we had no time to use it. Everyone assumes because its for sale the seller must be hard up for cash.
I see them for sale for that much around here to, I just always thought that was too high. Apparently I could get 14k out of my truck then? That wouldn't be to bad considering I only paid 12k for it 3 years ago with only 112,000 on it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I see them for sale for that much around here to, I just always thought that was too high. Apparently I could get 14k out of my truck then? That wouldn't be to bad considering I only paid 12k for it 3 years ago with only 112,000 on it.
Try 14.5 and see what happens. Another buddy of mine paid 18k for a 99 crew cab. I have a 01 and I had multiple offers for 18-19k. I had one guy who wanted to trade me his 6.4 straight across.
Granted I have about 10k in flatbed and Gearvendor Overdrive unit. Not to mention brand new tires, and factory 6 speed manual with 4x4 winch bumper, auxiliary fuel tank, toolboxes, diesel, low miles. There is 3500 in tires toolboxes and aucpxilliary prank on the tuck alone. There is no way in hell I would let this truck go for 18k. I wouldn't let it go for 30k. You couldn't replace this truck for less than that. To get what? Some pos 6.0 or 6.4? No thanks. My only repair in 160,000 miles was a water pump and currently swapping out the Gearvendors. After 150,000 miles it started to slip slightly. The rest was wear items like tires, brakes shocks oil changes filters. Other than that reliable as hell.
Pic of my truck.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
I'm not looking to sell mine I just find it interesting that I can sell it for more than I paid for it 3 years ago. As much as I have put in it now I'm going to drive it until the wheels fall off, then put em back on and drive it some more. Which will be a long while since I only drive it on weekends now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
How do you tell it needs replacing? It shifts firmly, no slipping. Doesn't make noise or anything.
Judging by the trucks I've looked at and info on here, that's about the approx mileage they all end up getting replaced at.

Did you sell it? How much did you get?

I've monitored prices for almost a year and right now in CO there seems to be a really short supply of 7.3s and are instantly selling (at least the ad is taken down) for 12-14K which is a sharp increase over the 8-10K a year ago. Pretty interesting to watch. I'm sure time of year has something to do with it to but it's surprising.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Judging by the trucks I've looked at and info on here, that's about the approx mileage they all end up getting replaced at.

Did you sell it? How much did you get?

I've monitored prices for almost a year and right now in CO there seems to be a really short supply of 7.3s and are instantly selling (at least the ad is taken down) for 12-14K which is a sharp increase over the 8-10K a year ago. Pretty interesting to watch. I'm sure time of year has something to do with it to but it's surprising.
Yeah, I'm not sure. Maybe I just got lucky (at least up until this point) lol :)

I haven't sold it yet. I need to wait until after my elk hunting season here, so I will be cleaning it up and listing it sometime beginning of November. If/when it sells, I will try to give an update on here and let everyone know how much I was able to get for it.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts