Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey Guys I've heard some mixed things about the 6.4s, i've heard since the valve guilds are basically metal on metal with no bronzes and the connecting rods are pretty much the same way, water pumps that eat their selves these engines can't go much past 200K. What are your thoughts on that, how many miles do you have on yalls trucks? I'm starting to wonder if this truck was a bit of a mistake.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
hey Guys I've heard some mixed things about the 6.4s, i've heard since the valve guilds are basically metal on metal with no bronzes and the connecting rods are pretty much the same way, water pumps that eat their selves these engines can't go much past 200K. What are your thoughts on that, how many miles do you have on yalls trucks? I'm starting to wonder if this truck was a bit of a mistake.
The 6.4 has weak links...no doubt....and I have seen this posted once or twice before, but I am not familiar with a single example of either of the first 2 issues you mentioned. I am not saying it is not correct but I a curious as to how this became known as a major flaw or how many cases you have actually seen of this. I personally know 2 local guys with over 200k miles and there are several guys who have posted they have over 200k miles. IMO with good maintenace and a reasonable right foot, you should have no problems getting over 200k miles out of your truck if you treat it right.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My last 6.4 had 100k miles when i sold it trouble free. Seen some with over 300k to all stock. If you are worried about a bullet proof motor go 12v or common rail Cummins and don't look back.

·
Registered
166 Posts
yeah, just injectors, pistons, valve seats, transmissions, ECM's, TIPM's, HVAC blend doors, ball joints, seats, hubs, etc. etc. etc.
Is this coming from a guy that has owned multiple Cummins powered trucks. Or are you going by what your buddy's buddy said lmao?

·
Administrator
21,736 Posts
are you two fighting over how crappy common rails are on a powerstroke forum?

Plus OP... really, you are asking how many miles? SMDH... I guess you were both bored this morning.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
are you two fighting over how crappy common rails are on a powerstroke forum?

Plus OP... really, you are asking how many miles? SMDH... I guess you were both bored this morning.
Yeah I am. Whats wrong with that? I work hard for my money and I dont want to spend it on junk.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well I have 296000, no problems and it drives perfect. I bought it deleted at 270000 and now I have a minimaxx on it running hd300 in the tow setting. I'm not exactly sure what has been repaired but I Saw no records of anything major. Also the body and interior was very clean so I'm guessing it wasn't beat on

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yeah I am. Whats wrong with that? I work hard for my money and I dont want to spend it on junk.
A tune and deletes the 6.4 is great. About $2,000 will get you everything you need. I went from 8 mpg towing to 12-14 mpg and about 19-21 empty all hand calculated. The early model 6.4s had leaking radiators and some HPFP failures. I like mine and pulls a load nicely really all depends on what you are doing with the truck.

·
Bump To Pass!!
11,891 Posts
All models of EVERY TRUCK MAKE HAS ISSUES!!!! PERIOD!!! There is no such thing as the perfect reliable brand. You want a bullet proof engine go with an early 7.3 powerstroke 99-00 or a 12v dodge....just don't b!tch about no power and having to replace transmissions. All of the makes have trade offs.

Asking how many miles can something go, is a question that CANT be answered. There are far too many variables. Maintenance, Driving style, Use, (in the 6.4 case if it can be deleted or not) and proper care all play huge roles. Then in those roles there are even more variables. Like what quality of fuel is being run, what type of oil, coolant type and so on. Then on top of all those you have what I call the "built on day" issue. I.E. was the truck built on a Monday or a Friday, or was it built in the middle of the week. Now obviously this is just a way of saying some have lots of issues and some seem to run for forever. There are thousands of parts all assembled together to make these work. The ods that all are perfect and will have no problems is 0. Everything wears and needs to be taken care of.

I have said this many times on this forum. If you don't understand the costs associated with a Diesel truck go buy a gasser. These cost money. Like owning a Range Rover or a Lambo. Nothing is cheap and all will make your wallet hurt. There is FAR TOO BIG of a crowd out there that just want a diesel and have no clue what they are getting into. Then when a problem pops up, its the fault of someone else....Usually the manufacturer, and they have no money to fix it or cant afford it and want play the blame game.

The 6.4 is a great engine. The 6.7 Cummins is a great engine. The 6.6Duramax is a great engine. All have issues and none of them are cheap. PERIOD!!

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
All models of EVERY TRUCK MAKE HAS ISSUES!!!! PERIOD!!! There is no such thing as the perfect reliable brand. You want a bullet proof engine go with an early 7.3 powerstroke 99-00 or a 12v dodge....just don't b!tch about no power and having to replace transmissions. All of the makes have trade offs.

Asking how many miles can something go, is a question that CANT be answered. There are far too many variables. Maintenance, Driving style, Use, (in the 6.4 case if it can be deleted or not) and proper care all play huge roles. Then in those roles there are even more variables. Like what quality of fuel is being run, what type of oil, coolant type and so on. Then on top of all those you have what I call the "built on day" issue. I.E. was the truck built on a Monday or a Friday, or was it built in the middle of the week. Now obviously this is just a way of saying some have lots of issues and some seem to run for forever. There are thousands of parts all assembled together to make these work. The ods that all are perfect and will have no problems is 0. Everything wears and needs to be taken care of.

I have said this many times on this forum. If you don't understand the costs associated with a Diesel truck go buy a gasser. These cost money. Like owning a Range Rover or a Lambo. Nothing is cheap and all will make your wallet hurt. There is FAR TOO BIG of a crowd out there that just want a diesel and have no clue what they are getting into. Then when a problem pops up, its the fault of someone else....Usually the manufacturer, and they have no money to fix it or cant afford it and want play the blame game.

The 6.4 is a great engine. The 6.7 Cummins is a great engine. The 6.6Duramax is a great engine. All have issues and none of them are cheap. PERIOD!!
Very well said!

Reactions: Tempe and toren302

·
Registered
4,609 Posts

I agree completely Toren! Asking how long a truck will last is like asking how long will I live. Couldn't have said it better myself :thumb:

Reactions: Heavy_GD

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Not really what I was asking and I see no warrent for a rant or name calling.
But with a vavle train and connecting rods that has parts that are metal on metal I would say these engines living a long life could be slim. Hell Herny Ford knew back in the day metal on metal was the wrong way to build a engine. On that note what can be done to fix these short comings? are there upgraded heads? can you get after market connecting rods? The DPF is getting the axe next week and egr is getting it soon after that.
Take a deep breath and chill.

·
Registered
59 Posts
OP- That's a hard call to make. Like everyone's said it all comes down to maintenance. Change your fluids on time, check for potential problems early, be rigorous with maintenance, don't slam the skinny pedal all the time etc. etc.. That being said I know a couple Powerstroke Techs and me personally owning a 6.4 with 80k I've been a little paranoid with my purchase...so Ive asked them if they've seen alot of these issues too. My buddy basically told me i've watched too many Bill Hewitt (powerstroke help guy) videos lol....He also said hes seen 300k plus on alot of trucks personal and service oriented..... Hes also put complete engines in at 40,000. Being a Mercedes Tech myself I've seen the most backwards engineering you could imagine and trust me they break alot. But theres usually a reason why there designed the way the are. Maybe there is a reason why International didn't use bronze valve guides? Who knows but what I do know is th at diesel aren't for people with shallow pockets. Sure you can upgrade anything for the right amount of coin, but In my opinion the "reliable" diesel days are gone, unless you want at least a 15 year old truck, better pay up no matter what wrapper the truck is in.

Reactions: toren302
1 - 20 of 31 Posts