Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just what the title says... I know about the external filter in front of the trans pan on my job 1 08, is there also an in pan filter? Thanks guys

·
Administrator
30,470 Posts
no it's a screen and does non need replacement
if u decide to clean it or drop your pan for any reason the gasket is reusable

·
Administrator
30,470 Posts
I actually just bough the in pan real filter like the later trucks use and bought a derale pan that can accommodate all years and filter types thanks to a removable bracket

the reason I swapped is because the in pan filter filters all the fluid all the time unlike the frame mount

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you changed your actual pan and that allowed you to use a late 08+ in pan filter?

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
If you have an job one there is an internal filter and an external filter and when the dealership serviced mine they changed both.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yep. I have a job1 and changed both internal & external filters. I guess some people don't change the internal as frequently as the external. But I have changed both every 50,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Mine is the job 1 with external filter I don't feel the need to swap to the later style pan. Stay on top of fluid changes and that external filter will do just fine I know of a few job1 truck original tranny with well over 150k miles

·
Administrator
30,470 Posts
If you have an job one there is an internal filter and an external filter and when the dealership serviced mine they changed both.
I wonder Why Ford doesn't even recommend that the internal pan filter 0n a job 1 be changed .. is a screen to catch large debris .. u can clean it

I am pretty sure Ford thought going back to a real filter in the pan on later trucks was a good idea or they wouldn't have spent the money to redesign the system

I know I feel better having all the fluid filtered all the time vs the bypass and reduced filtering of the remote filter makes Me feel better

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I wonder Why Ford doesn't even recommend that the internal pan filter 0n a job 1 be changed .. is a screen to catch large debris .. u can clean it

I am pretty sure Ford thought going back to a real filter in the pan on later trucks was a good idea or they wouldn't have spent the money to redesign the system

I know I feel better having all the fluid filtered all the time vs the bypass and reduced filtering of the remote filter makes Me feel better
There is a filter in the pan, not just a screen.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ford told me to change both

·
Administrator
30,470 Posts
they were wrong I wonder if they actually changed it at all or just charged you ??

look at your manual Ford specifically states the procedure as external filter
even in the 4th printing it notes only internal filter change for those not equipped with external

·
Registered
138 Posts
I changed mine myself. Internal & external.

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
They changed both of mine, I watched them do it and it sure looked like a filter that should be changed.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I understand what zmann is saying I changed both of mine myself multiple times on fords recommendation and the internal is more of a screen type filter than a paper filter but it should definitely be changed. Mine had all kinds of large particles and stuff in it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts