Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I was just curious to see how many folks were above 500 hp and what mods they had to do to get there?

·
GET MY ENEMA BUCKET BRO!!
2,068 Posts
Pretty sure its attainable with exhaust and a chip.

·
Premium Member
20,351 Posts
Pretty sure its attainable with exhaust and a chip.

That will only net you about 400-450 Hp to the wheels MAX...

To get to 500, you need larger injectors or a larger turbo along with being studded.

EGR delete is a very good idea, make sure the oil cooler is not clogged, and Fuel pressure are all things needed before planning high HP.

With 175/75% injectors I should be right around 500:rockwoot:

·
2,068 Posts
Some dude in my town noticed my oh3 whistling and as far as I know it doesn't have anything done to it

He told me he has 5in and a chip/tune and was sitting right at 700ish. I feel bad for not calling him on it and believeing him kinda

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jacksun im new to the powerstroke but from my research this isnt many putting down those types of numbers. I could be wrong but thats what Ive read so far.

·
Premium Member
20,351 Posts
Some dude in my town noticed my oh3 whistling and as far as I know it doesn't have anything done to it

He told me he has 5in and a chip/tune and was sitting right at 700ish. I feel bad for not calling him on it and believeing him kinda

That is ok that you believed him... Everyone learns and you just gotta realize that some people just talk out of their azz!!! He just added up all the hp adding numbers from all the "mods" he did... He added 10hp for every sticker he put on too I bet:rofl:

Jacksun im new to the powerstroke but from my research this isnt many putting down those types of numbers. I could be wrong but thats what Ive read so far.
Those numbers are VERY hard to get to on an average budget.
$2k for LARGE injectors
$5-8k for twin turbo set-up (Not counting MTW turbos)
$1k++ for a good fuel system
$5k++ For a tranny to hold that power
$1-3k for studding the truck
Ect
Ect
Ect
Ect

The guy talking about 700HP Doesn't even know how diesels work most likely:doh:

·
2,068 Posts
Oh I'm sure he was lieing. He was in college and there were a bunch of.beetches around. Haha I didn't really take it to heart. But looking back he was lieing out his ***.

Probably was doing like Cai=50 + 100exhaust and I'm sure the rims added atleast 250hp

·
2,068 Posts
Ha beat me to it exactly. While I've had a few other cars and talked to people about them I didnt know enough to call bs. I've had
93 markviii
96cobra
00lightning
All in the past year :eek:.

I bet he thinks copper is the best spark plug for the 6.0 too :p

·
Premium Member
3,814 Posts

From here on out just assume big numbers are BS. Now I'm not saying big numbers are not possible, but big number guys don't exaggerate. Here is an example of pure BS. A few weeks back at Thoroughbred Diesel, I and the 2 guys I was with met a guy with a 6.0 that dynos at 575. He named off the mods and it sounded a little high but why would he lie. Afterall he was in line to dyno. After his pull, which we didn't watch, we ran into him and asked what he did. He reported 500 even and talked about weather and dyno operator. We were smart enough to know that those things do make a difference so we didn't call him out. Knowing what his number was we checked the board and found that he actually had a pull of 426, 174 HP off from his first claim. The truck we were in put down a corrected 501.3, he wouldn't talk to us anymore.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Yeah...dyno's will break more hearts than a high school cheerleader. I was so bummed the day my mustang put down a whopping 149 horsepower, lol. Stock 302 at the time with an intake and 4 barrel, msd distributor, and 2 year old gas in the tank during dyno, lol. Oh well, all better now.

Anyone got any actual 500+ dyno's...or there abouts youd like to post? I just ordered a set of 175/30 injectors from warren diesel today. Very good operation there it sounds like...he said 500 was pretty attainable with those...1300 bucks for 8 injectors and new nozzles, not too bad I didn't think. His stock plus (basically a 155 with a stock tip) used to be 500, then 600, now $750...I guess he was catching on that it was a really good deal. I don't blame him.

·
Registered
365 Posts
i think, anyone that says they make over 500 hp without dyno sheets are just like those guys that shoot coyotes at 600 yards while its running with 20 mph wind with a 22-250
haha

·
Registered
4,914 Posts

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
i think, anyone that says they make over 500 hp without dyno sheets are just like those guys that shoot coyotes at 600 yards while its running with 20 mph wind with a 22-250
haha
The dyno slip isn't always accurate. Take deepdish for instance who ran a "474 rwhp" on stock turbo and stock injectors. When in reality he was running different size tires than stock and also had 4:10 gears in the rear end and the dyno operator set the dyno up for 3:73 gears and stock tire size for his first pull. Then on his second go around he had the MTW Hybrid installed on his truck and pulled a best pull of 461 rwhp. Then he put his truck up for sale as it didn't make "more" power than the stock turbo and he was done messing with it. When actually his second go around was more accurate because the dyno operator adjusted the parameters for the 4:10 gears and different size tires. Time slips and trap speeds at the 1/4 mile with the actual weight of the truck at the time of the race are the only way of verifying the dyno numbers being accurate.

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
sorry bryan i was talking more about the "stories" you hear compared to fact, not the whole technical aspect you went to. but yes i agree from what i have heard most dyno operaters dont know what there doing

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
So is that a stock Powerstroke with just a K&N and an exhaust?:laugh:
I think you could say it has the zoodad mod tooo. Lol

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Turbos = Witchcraft
2,740 Posts
My track times and trap speeds say I'm around 515 rwhp, but I have no dyno numbers. I have little respect for dyno numbers, especially from a mustang dyno. Even numbers from a true load dyno really need track times to back them up IMHO. I've ran into plenty of guys who claim their trucks are over 600 hp with a tune and exhaust. It is real bummer when they can't keep up with my 500 hp rig :hehe:

Like Eli said, making lots of hp takes some serious cash, and the more you want, the more expensive each hp gets.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts