Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I have the Banks Exhaust break. So far i like it. I have not had a chance to use it in the mountains with the trailer yet. I have used it in the mountains without the trailer and i have no complaints. I have been able to go down mountain grades without hitting the break pedal at all. I have seen some lower EGT from normal driving with it. maybe about 100* over before it was installed. Im guessing cause i took the stack EBPV out and the banks butterfly is further down in the exhaust flow then the stock butterfly. From what i have read you have to get a torque converter lock up (banks smart lock) or else you will just raise trans temp cause the converter is not locked up while the break is engaged. I have heard if you use a break while the converter is not locked up it will cause trans temp to rise.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Is their a way to tell if the valves start floating? Will the sound of the motor change or anything?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
That's all I need to see to know that my 7.3 will not get an exhaust brake.
I look at it a different way. you can put just an exhaust break on and take the chance of destroying stuff but if you do the right supporting mods it will work just fine for a long time. If you have an auto and do the trans and torque converter upgrades and upgrade the valve springs you will be ok.

Same with anything else. You can put in huge injectors in but if you don't do supporting mods you are just wasting your money.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
That's all I need to see to know that my 7.3 will not get an exhaust brake.
Maybe just call the people who make it, and ask what, if any, precautions you need to be aware of.

Diesel Emission Valves, Engine Brakes and Exhaust Brakes

If I keep my current truck much longer, I'll be adding one back in. My aim is a 6.0 with a turbo brake tune.
From what i have gathered from the conversation there are two people that have first hand experience with exhaust breaks. One has one now with no complaints and one had one prior and is thinking would do it again. Im just saying.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Basically, all I use my truck for is towing my 11k pound 5th wheel camper. I am considering installing a BD in-line ( not turbo mount) exhaust brake on my 2001 7.3 f350 AT. I have already done the EBPV delete so this is my only option left. I was wondering how many members currently use one and if so, are you please with its performance. I assume no one has had any issues with valve float as long as you are using one designed for the 7.3.

Thanks in advance,
Bryan
You can get the banks break and smart lock. If you get the banks break you would have to remove your EBPV housing anyway. So it doesn't matter if it has the butterfly valve or not.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Here is the Banks break

Attachments

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
If PHP says not to do it... I wouldn't do it. Bill knows the 7.3/6.0 engine platform. I would take his advice to the grave.
But why did he say don't do it? For the trans which you can upgrade and for the valves which you can upgrade. Would you build a top end to produce 800HP and not replace the PMR? No but if you build the bottom end to support the top then you will be ok. Same thing here. What if you have a ZF6 then the trans issue is ok from what i have read and just have to worry about floating the valves. I think it was about 75 PSI the valves float at but if you upgrade those it would be ok in my mind.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I would agree. If you just do an exhaust break and nothing else it won't help and hurt stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts