Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Guys;

This has probably been asked a million times, but with a million posts to search through you understand why...

Realistically, how many more miles before I'll need an overhaul, max? All maintenance according to Ford schedule, periodic light towing, mostly highway driving, stock tires, no lift.

Truck currently has 213,000 miles.

Additionally, my oil pan is rusting. How long before it goes?

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
How bad is the oil pan rusting? If its just surface rust. Clean it up and POR 15 it. If its worse you gotta pull the motor to change it

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's starting to get a little deeper than I like but not too bad yet. I believe I can get it out by just unbolting the motor and trans from their mounts and lifting it up enough to get clearance over that monster cross member. Several dealers due this v/s pulling due to time and cost.

Back to the original question: how long before overhaul?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Thats like sayin how long are you gonna live you just never know. Who knows it could last a million more miles or die on the side of the road tommorow

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
500,000 seems to be the benchmark for these 7.3's. Many have gone much more.

·
Premium Member
1,489 Posts
Most of mine have close to 300K on them. I have a 2001 wheel chair bus (international navistar 7.3l - same engine) that has 354K, and it sounds better than some of my trucks with only 180K.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm asking because I saw an article in Diesel Power about a 1.4 million mile Cummins. From what I'm hearing non modded tripple 4's can last about 500,000 without incident?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Owner of powerstrokehelp.com has mentioned his 7.3 has cleared 800,000 without major engine work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts