Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been talked about before, but how long does diesel have just sitting? Is there any way to tell if it's still "good" or not? My girlfriend's dad just sold his diesel tractor and has a half jug of #1 fuel left, about 3-4 gallons, but it's been sitting since mid December in his pole barn.

Do you think it's still ok to use? Or should I pass on it. :dunno:

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have used diesel fuel that was over 15 years old in cummins turbo 350s and it ran fine

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
I've got 25 gallons of diesel in my garage for my John Deere and she runs fine on it. I even used one jug one night because I was almost out of fuel and didn't know if I'd make it to the station.

-BG06.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I have left my Detroit Diesel with fuel in it for over a year and had no problems.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
on our farm we leave fuel in the barrels after harvest for the whole winter and our stuff still runs great all of our 500gal barrels have filters on them but i think if you can get that diesel then get it and use it you will be fine

·
Registered
118 Posts
In a 6.4? Not long at all!!:)

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
just make sure it doesnt have fungi in the fuel
That's exactly right. Biologics are the main enemy of diesel fuel; it doesn't really go bad. Well at least not like gasoline... I wouldn't want to clog your fuel filters or risk an injector, so I would pass if it were me. :twocents:

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alrighty then sounds like it'll be ok, thanks guys!!!

·
Registered
457 Posts
That's exactly right. Biologics are the main enemy of diesel fuel; it doesn't really go bad. Well at least not like gasoline... I wouldn't want to clog your fuel filters or risk an injector, so I would pass if it were me. :twocents:
Even if you do get algae growth there are biocides that will take care of it. Power Service makes a good one. It's mostly used in marine applications where you have boats with 1000 gallon+ fuel tanks that see intermittent use. I also read an account once of diesel fuel being salvaged from a 50 something year old barge that had run aground in a river...

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
Even if you do get algae growth there are biocides that will take care of it. Power Service makes a good one. It's mostly used in marine applications where you have boats with 1000 gallon+ fuel tanks that see intermittent use. I also read an account once of diesel fuel being salvaged from a 50 something year old barge that had run aground in a river...
True but for a few gallons of old diesel it wouldn't be worth it...

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
never had any problems with diesel of sitting to long. On the farm we have tractos that dont get used much like acouple time a year and never have any problem with them.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got the fuel, it was about 4 gallons. It looked good, smelled good, good consistency it was fine. I put it in and I can't see it hurting anything really. I mean cmon, it's the 7.3 :) lol

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
I think it would depend on the temp it was stored at. If it gelled up I would not put it in my tank. Even after it thinned out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am trying to decide whether or not to take up a friend's offer for some diesel that's been stored since the new millennium -- lots of it. Who could you take it to to have it tested?

'96 PS 175K
3 1/2" exhaust, Air Hog
Chipped, 2 17-cell hydro generators

1 - 15 of 15 Posts