Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at my turbo yesterday and made a short video of the side play. It looks like the wheel might be contacting the housing at times but I could not get it to touch.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Locking hubs

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
You can see there is evidence of scraping in the picture. I would figure out if you are going to rebuild or get a new one. Then I would be doing that work sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
That thing is almost toast. Pull it and take it apart and get a look at the bearings and where the bearings sit. See if the scoring on where they sit is really bad and if it is, rebuilding it is out of the equation. How many miles on it?

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That thing is almost toast. Pull it and take it apart and get a look at the bearings and where the bearings sit. See if the scoring on where they sit is really bad and if it is, rebuilding it is out of the equation. How many miles on it?

193K miles but it had 34K on it when I bought in 2008 and I believe it was replaced before. In 2012 when I replaced my head gaskets and all the updates I pulled, cleaned and lubed the exhaust fins with anti-seize. Never messed with the other side with the bearings.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I would not put it back on the truck.. Depending on the remaining of the housing damage you may get away with buffing and polishing. Might need a new housing.

Will likely not know until taken down for inspection.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Judging by the look of it do you think it would last 200-300 more miles? If I'm careful when and where I drive it then that is all the miles I need to put on it before Christmas break when I can tear it down. If rebuildable what kit do you guys recommend? If it needs a housing is it still worth it to rebuild them? If not what turbo do you recommend? I don't need anything high performance. Also I do not want a 2003 wheel on it that whistles like a Duce and a Half.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Too late, I have been driving it. Actually I never removed it.
When it let's go, guess where all the shrapnel will go. Right into the the intakes and the cylinder heads. Pull it tear it down and see if its even savable, or you can do it while your rebuilding the engine from it gernading your engine..

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yep...
It could happen today, might happen in a month. Neither of which will be as inexpensive as pulling it now and not driving it for a few days.

Reactions: snsdually

·
Premium Member
8,409 Posts
Bearing is just a little loose -- some of that side play is normal, the shaft rides on a film of oil and that is what centers it
I think put a bearing kit in it an see if that works -- the housing may have a little wear, but most will be in the bearings

Or just put a new turbo on if ya gots the credits - gold - plex - whatever

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Agree with hydro. But you need to pull it. Doesn't take long to get out, just a pain to get in. When you do that, the rear turbo bolt will leave you kicking. Get a stripped bolt kid and just pull it with that. Get the turbo rebuild kit and install kit. Shouldn't run you more than 130 bucks rather than 1700 on a turbo (assuming you won't go with an OEM and an upgraded KC turbo like any sane person would do). But you will need to examine where the bearings sit to even see if the rebuild will be worth it. FWIW, my shaft has no play whatsoever.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts