Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everybody says go SCT, seems as if SCT is the EFI live/PPE of the powerstroke world. How is this programmerEdge Products Ford Evolution Programmer
though? I see it on XDP for 350. I would like to get a cheaper programmer and bump my mileage. I use my 07 for the ranch mostly. So yes towing and hauling.

TIA

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I believe that edge products do not tune the transmission. That is the biggest killer of general tuners. Especially towing, it would be good to have the higher line pressure in the transmission to prolong life of internals among the other things a tune for the trans does. Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
Don't do it. Get yourself an SCT X3 and custom tunes. This isn't where you want to cheap out.

BUT

The first thing you need is a good monitoring solution so you know what your truck is doing BEFORE the big repair bills slap you upside the head.

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
There's more in SCT tuning of the Transmission than just the line pressure.

Hands down the SCT with custom tuning from a quality tuner is the best thing for your transmission. You'll need a monitor to keep an eye under the hood, the Edge Insight CS/CTS can't be beat for the money.

Most destroyed 5R110's are from folks running sub-standard programming.

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
As was mentioned, SCT for custom tuning and the Edge Insight CS or CTS for monitoring your engine vitals. :thumb:

PS. There are literally HUNDREDS of parameters for tuning the 5R110 transmission in the SCT software.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I couldn't agree more. I tried to go the cheap way out with my 6.0 and bought a hypertech maxx energy. Man biggest mistake ever. It wrecked my transmission. After a new tranny I sold the hypertech and bought an sct makes a world of difference. Do yourself and your truck a favor by going with SCT.:thumb:

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
SCT can actually access the TCM and TUNE the trans... I'm not aware of any other programmers that can do this. The Phalanx supposedly could, and there were beta testers a few years ago, never heard much more. It could also tune the FICM through the OBD port, but it was also like $1200.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I knew the sct calvalry would show up sooner or later with guns blazin'.

These guys are right, spend the extra few hundred bucks and do it once(and right the first time). $500 now or several thousand later. You can get a used x3 pretty cheap, just make sure it is unlocked before buying it.

What about the manual transmissions, are the regular tuners more prone to melting an engine down? Obviously for huge power go with sct/custom tunes, but what about the person who just wants a little more oomph?

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
With the manual, I would still go with the SCT. Simply, its tuning is based on your trucks specific stategy coding, and the mods you've done to it. Everything else, will be pretty much the same program for every 6.0L out there. Can't confirm the reliability aspect, but its always better to go custom.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
It's not so much everyone here for the "SCT" crowd, everyone is just all for custom tunes, which coincidentally can only be had on the SCT.

Even with a manual truck, I'd still go custom. The generic tuners just "fool" the computer into adding more fuel and timing, and it's just not as controlled. You can usually tell a generic programmer was run when you yank the heads off and the spray pattern is way outside the bowl, causing crazy high cylinder pressures. I'd stick with custom tunes personally, my $.02.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
SCT can actually access the TCM and TUNE the trans... I'm not aware of any other programmers that can do this. The Phalanx supposedly could, and there were beta testers a few years ago, never heard much more. It could also tune the FICM through the OBD port, but it was also like $1200.
PPE xcelerator tunes the transmission. I know its not a custom tuner but it has 10 power levels and three transmission options. I would still say a custom tuned SCT is probably better than this but it is a powerful tuner nonetheless.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Well, I did not know that about the spray pattern. I understand that custom tuning is the best way to go, but didn't have any engine related reason why a regular tuner would be a bad option, now I do.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Raul, I looked at your link. Is the std tunes the canned tunes? What is the extreme tune? How does the x3 compare to the livewire? I was thinking livewire since it has the guages built in.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Yes, the tunes that come with the device are "canned" or standard issue.
Everyone will tell you to get the custom tunes, worlds better than the canned.

The livewire is a good monitor, but it doesn't do the in depth monitoring the cts does. If you want to just monitor coolant and oil temps, boost, egt's(have to buy probe) and transmission temp, it works fine. Those are the 4 most important things to monitor.

Now the cts will monitor all that plus more including ficm voltage. If that drops below 45 volts, you better be getting a new ficm.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, the tunes that come with the device are "canned" or standard issue.
Everyone will tell you to get the custom tunes, worlds better than the canned.

The livewire is a good monitor, but it doesn't do the in depth monitoring the cts does. If you want to just monitor coolant and oil temps, boost, egt's(have to buy probe) and transmission temp, it works fine. Those are the 4 most important things to monitor.

Now the cts will monitor all that plus more including ficm voltage. If that drops below 45 volts, you better be getting a new ficm.
An extra 400 for me to monitor 1 more parameter that actually matters is not worth it to me. Now that Ive said this I bet the ficm thing will go out.:doh: I was kind of set on the livewire. But I just found out I cant do tire size which kind of sucks.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
PPE xcelerator tunes the transmission. I know its not a custom tuner but it has 10 power levels and three transmission options. I would still say a custom tuned SCT is probably better than this but it is a powerful tuner nonetheless.

No, it doesn't. Despite what the box might say. If anything, it just raises line pressure like every other generic tuner out there. It can not actually access the TCM like the SCT can.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
No, it doesn't. Despite what the box might say. If anything, it just raises line pressure like every other generic tuner out there. It can not actually access the TCM like the SCT can.
Ok so what does accessing the TCM actually do aside from raising some line pressure?? Because I have used the PPE Xcelerator and it has three transmission options for each level of tuning. Now each level is a separate tune but the transmission options are normal, smooth aggressive, and like xtreme or something I dont remember. Either way though lets say that it just raised line pressure. It would have to do that through the TCM. So while it may not be as refined as whatever transmission tuning is done or isnt done by the SCT it still tunes the transmission.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
There are tell tale signs, hard to start, runs like crap until warmed up, etc. I bought the cts due to I have a good chunk of cash under the hood now and fixing to have one heck of a chunk of cash under the hood, so i need the more detailed things to check.

While the livewire has its shortfalls, it does get the job done. The only complaint I have personally is that it doesn't do more detailed monitoring. Other than that it is fine in my book. I have one and used it for a while, till my old hot-rodding habits reared their ugly heads.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts