Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am by far not a mechanic so this maybe a dumb question but my truck has 4.10 how hard would it be to change it to something lower like the 3.? to help with MPG? Is this the gear in the rear end or in the transmission? and can it be done by changing just the gears itself or do you have to change the hold thing? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I am by far not a mechanic so this maybe a dumb question but my truck has 4.10 how hard would it be to change it to something lower like the 3.? to help with MPG? Is this the gear in the rear end or in the transmission? and can it be done by changing just the gears itself or do you have to change the hold thing? Thanks for your help.
lowering it will help on the highway, just not so much the city. i have 3:55 and i am happy with it!

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
btw, its not as hard if you replace the whole rear end. Junkyard would be a great place to check

·
Super Moderator
13,237 Posts
swapping gears can be tricky, since your not a mechanic by any means, take it to a professional mechanic.. it will be pricey though.. around $1600 or so for front and rear.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
swapping gears can be tricky, since your not a mechanic by any means, take it to a professional mechanic.. it will be pricey though.. around $1600 or so for front and rear.
i would never wanna replace the inside parts...that stuff scares me

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
If you have a 4x4 both ends have to have the same ratio. I've been happy with my 3.73 diff. gearing. Cruises 75mph @ 2200rpm (6-speed trans.).

·
Registered
699 Posts
i would never wanna replace the inside parts...that stuff scares me
I have gotten mine installed on several different trucks far 250 an axle. thats with you suppling the gears seals and fluid and any bearings that may need replacing in the mean time. \

·
Registered
26 Posts
You change the gear ratio in the axles. It is quite involved if you do it yourself, and you certainly dont want to mess it up. Shop around a lot, you will find prices vary quite a bit. 4wheelparts wanted 1200 i think for front/rear on my jeep, but i was able to find someone to do it for much cheaper. When doing the gears, you will get a new ring and pinion. Also, its a good idea to get a master install kit, as this will have all the necessary shims, bolts, bearings, etc to put it all together. Hope that helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts