Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
Ive been running a SuperChips FlashPaq set to economy+ mode on my '04 for around 5years now, I just ordered a PHP programmer, do I need to return the FlashPaq to stock before installing the FICM tune? Should I fiddle with FICM tunes before re installing the FlashPaq?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ive been running a SuperChips FlashPaq set to economy+ mode on my '04 for around 5years now, I just ordered a PHP programmer, do I need to return the FlashPaq to stock before installing the FICM tune? Should I fiddle with FICM tunes before re installing the FlashPaq?

The FlashPaq is an ECM programmer. When you connect our FICM programmer to tune your FICM, it will bypass your ECM tuning and only program the FICM.

Same reason you do not need to return your SCT to stock before flashing the FICM. All is good :thumb:

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
Excellent

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
Is FICM tuning affected by elevation? several times a year we run down to our cabin in the Sequoias (7640' elevation) and since I live 13' above sea level it's quite a jump, just hoping it won't be an issue

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
Is FICM tuning affected by elevation? several times a year we run down to our cabin in the Sequoias (7640' elevation) and since I live 13' above sea level it's quite a jump, just hoping it won't be an issue
This is from my observations, not sure if one of the FICM tuners will provide alternative information or not.

The FICM doesn't know anything about boost, MAF, or elevation. The only thing its getting from the PCM is the throttle position and fuel demands of the PCM. It doesn't adapt parameters for elevation.

I recently completed a trip into Denver for a week or so. The PCM adapted boost by a few PSI, however I was still rich (smokey) spooling up. I'm running IDP Ultimate X, along with their Perfromance FICM tune (approx. +25HP), and I needed to adapt my driving a bit to not draw attention to it. So, my advise is to keep an eye on EGTs and Boost and expect to adapt your driving a bit with the change in altitude.

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
Thank you for the info, I guess fourth of July will be the real test

·
Motor Head.
1,733 Posts
Are all ficm tunes the same for every truck (economy,40 80,100) or are there custom ficm tunes too,like if a truck was being live tuned ?

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
I have only ever been aware of the standard tunes you mentioned, but I would bet that PHP employees probably have some experimental tunes they play with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have only ever been aware of the standard tunes you mentioned, but I would bet that PHP employees probably have some experimental tunes they play with.

PHP is a lot like Area 51... we know it's there but we don't know whats going on.... :look: Ok on a real note we offer larger nozzle tunes for trucks with ridiculous nozzle sizes besides our standard FICM files but that hopefully is well known information. I personally run a Hercules which is available to the public. We don't have any secret sauce in the works or do we? Guess y'all will have to wait and see :thumb:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Well this just changed my opinion of FICM tuning. For whatever reason I was under the impression that stacking tunes & towing my 9k travel trailer would be a bad thing? Now it appears to be the opposite, basically I might be better off with a 40hp FICM tune & a 65hp tow tune if I'm understanding this right? Right?

·
Registered
68 Posts
While towing with tunes, the thing to watch out for are high egts. As long as they are monitored and kept reasonable, a ficm tune is fine. I tow a 5-6k lb boat with a tow tune and the Atlas 40 ficm tune. I really like it. I can go wide open up a grade and will only hit 1100 deg.

·
Registered
468 Posts
My FICM is going bad and I am getting ready to replace it. I am considering getting a tune when I do, but I tow in the Rockies, could has be 15K or more. With a completely stock truck, am I asking for trouble?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the writeup Jay, it helps me understand the relationship between FICM and PCM tunes.
I just bought a 6.0 completely stock that i use for daily driving and occasionally pulling my 12K lb fifth wheel. I want to add oil bypass filter and coolant filter and mishimoto radioator, and pray i dont need to bulleproof anytime soon.

Im trying to decide which tunes to add to my truck. My goal is long life and great fuel economy; the truck seems to pull the RV just fine so more power would be nice but not critical.

What kind of PCM tune & FICM tune combination would you recommend to bypass the EGR as much as possible and give the best overall fuel economy for daily driving and overall engine longevity for when i pull long trips through the mountains?

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
5,721 Posts
Thanks for the writeup Jay, it helps me understand the relationship between FICM and PCM tunes.
I just bought a 6.0 completely stock that i use for daily driving and occasionally pulling my 12K lb fifth wheel. I want to add oil bypass filter and coolant filter and mishimoto radioator, and pray i dont need to bulleproof anytime soon.

Im trying to decide which tunes to add to my truck. My goal is long life and great fuel economy; the truck seems to pull the RV just fine so more power would be nice but not critical.

What kind of PCM tune & FICM tune combination would you recommend to bypass the EGR as much as possible and give the best overall fuel economy for daily driving and overall engine longevity for when i pull long trips through the mountains?
Here is my input on tunes to use with a truck for towing with a non studded 6.0

I am familiar with PHP tunes along with their FICM tuner so its what I am going to suggest.

Get a few custom tunes from them so you can see what works best in your truck.

25 HP Tow Tune
65 HP Tow Tune
80 HP Street Tune

PHP FICM Tuner which has:
Economy 25 HP
Atlas4o 4O HP
Atlas80 80 HP
Hercules 100 HP

My choices for you would likely be
25 HP Tow + Atlas40
65 HP Tow + Atlas40

I would also recommend you install a EGT probe to monitor temps when towing. Temps seem high lower the HP on the custom tune.

I would not go beyond 80 HP with the FICM Tuner without studs. These are not the most durable engines when it comes to head gaskets. So don't push it or you will have studs sooner then you think. I am studded with o-ringed heads but the 65 Tow and FICM tuner is as much power as I will go. Don't want the worry of causing head gasket issues in my truck.

Their tunes will shut the EGR valve off so that is a given. Many of us weld up the exhaust porting to the EGR cooler or just delete it all together. Either task is a step towards better reliability and better mileage and not coking up your intake ports.

Congrats on the truck and post up what you wind up doing if you haven't already done it. lol

Oh yea you can play around with the other options when not towing.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Guys I just sent in my ficm to ficmrepair.com after talking to them and praying that this is going to fix my rough running problem. Anyways I was talking to Ed I'm pretty sure that's his name about the atlas 40 and decided to go with that thinking well its only $150 compared to 400 for a tuner and another 150 for tunes since I would only run a small tune like a tow tune for now due to head bolts. I searched on here for the atlas 40 and the only reviews were from this and 2012 and 2013 and they were guys with bigger injectors, tunes, and other mods that didn't notice a huge difference. My question is with a stock 2004 f250 with 35's with only a 4' straight pipe and afe intake will I notice a big difference going to the atlas 40 or was it not worth the $150 I see a couple people pick up 1-3 mpg which would be great but I get 16.5 with corrected miles going on a 3.5 hour drive from where I live in Missouri to Kansas city. Sorry if this is not the right place to put this post.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Guys I just sent in my ficm to ficmrepair.com after talking to them and praying that this is going to fix my rough running problem. Anyways I was talking to Ed I'm pretty sure that's his name about the atlas 40 and decided to go with that thinking well its only $150 compared to 400 for a tuner and another 150 for tunes since I would only run a small tune like a tow tune for now due to head bolts. I searched on here for the atlas 40 and the only reviews were from this and 2012 and 2013 and they were guys with bigger injectors, tunes, and other mods that didn't notice a huge difference. My question is with a stock 2004 f250 with 35's with only a 4' straight pipe and afe intake will I notice a big difference going to the atlas 40 or was it not worth the $150 I see a couple people pick up 1-3 mpg which would be great but I get 16.5 with corrected miles going on a 3.5 hour drive from where I live in Missouri to Kansas city. Sorry if this is not the right place to put this post.

You may or not improve fuel economy. You will almost certainly feel the throttle response increase in the bottom end.

Reactions: G8orFord

·
Premium Member
11,696 Posts
^^^What he said. For me it was worth the $150 for the improved drive-ability it gives. Throttle response is much more like a gasser. I've since bought the programmer, but I did the same thing you're doing to start with and don't regret it one bit. It's been 4 years since I did it so I can't say for sure if I saw a mileage improvement. If I did it was minimal.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
I bought the tuner, and I change tunes pretty often, depending on what ecm tune, or turbo I am running. I noticed yesterday, while switching tunes, that the date on the box is 2013. I didn’t realize I had the tuner for so long already. No regrets. And I could probably re-cupe most of that money quickly if I decided to sell it.

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
5,721 Posts
Go with the Atlas40 for sure. I also have the FICM Tuner but I run the Atlas40 most by a long shot. I pull a 4 quad trailer into the mountains occasionally thats just over 5,000lbs and the EGT's are much higher with the Atlas80 in the truck. Burns more fuel too so I think the 40 is best choice.
I may have gained a little on mileage but you will like the increased performance to the point you wont give a damn about the mileage. I have had my PHP FICM tuner since 2011 when it was $425.00 IIRC. They have come down quite a bit today but its worth every dollar even if it was $500.00 IMO.

You will enjoy it that I am sure of.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts