Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the turbo sitting on the pedestal with the drain tube going into it.
However, I'm a little worried it may leak.
I know there's a taper in the turbo port. Do I need to make sure the o ring is past this taper?
The bottom of the flange is protruding below the port about a tenth of an inch.
How can I tell whether it's in far enough?

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
The critical measurement is on the other end of the drain tube, going into the HPOP cover.
That can not exceed 0.9 inches, since that would have the o-ring too deep and beyond an internal lip in the cover. Pulling the tube back out can nick the o-ring, resulting in a leak. I wouldn't be overly concerned about how far it goes into the turbo, as long as it isn't too deep into the HPOP cover. The depth the tube would be allowed to go into the turbo would be set by the two legs welded onto the drain tube that sit on the pedestal anyway. If those are on the pedestal, its in there right.
The slip of paper that came with the drain tube should have this information (unless you are re-using your existing).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, NYC F-350,

Sounds like it's in correctly. I measured the insertion into the HPOP (at .9 inches) as indicated on the paper that came with the unit. The only measurement that they show having to do with the side of the drain tube that goes into the turbo is the gap from the tube to the pedestal, which I also measured.
I sure hope it doesn't leak...I hate leaks. I guess since this is just a drain, it's not going to empty my crank-case.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts