Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got a new trailer last month and don't want someone driving off with my trailer in tow.

right now i have a cheap masterlock coupler lock (Masterlock 379KAAPTY) and a master lock latch lock (Masterlock 2847DAT)

the 379 coupler lock doesn't fit my hammerblow/bulldog 2 5/16 coupler all that well. i have no complaints on the 2847 latch lock

I was wondering what you guys use on your trailers, specifically hammerblow/bulldog coupler guys.

I really want this kit (Masterlock 3774DAT) as everything is keyed alike, but not sure if it'll work with my coupler.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i just use a standard brinks long neck lock for my trailer. also we are on a farm so the trailers are parked by the barn in the back. so they are out of viewing from the road.

yeah i live in a townhouse community in downtown Atlanta, i wish i could just put it behind a barn or out of sight! lol

·
Registered
83 Posts
We had our trailer in two different storage lots in Las Vgeas. One was next door to a police station. The trailer was broke into twice in a 6 month time period. Now it is in California at the in-laws. Sucks to have a three hour drive just to use the danm thing.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
We had our trailer in two different storage lots in Las Vgeas. One was next door to a police station. The trailer was broke into twice in a 6 month time period. Now it is in California at the in-laws. Sucks to have a three hour drive just to use the danm thing.
Thats why ours stay at the house and have a dog with them.:thumb:

·
Registered
379 Posts
I chain my wheels when it will be parked for an extended time, and I also have a 130 lb. Lab Rot mix watching it for me.

·
riddin' high
2,877 Posts
pin lock, hitch ball lock, ad a 1/4" wire lock going through the wheel and around the axel. usually does the job

·
Registered
582 Posts
We take the neck out. Hard to steal when you have nothing to hook to.

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
I use a good quality lock and a old ball with the threads cut off, just put the ball into the coupler and lock it, simple and effective.

·
Premium Member
4,670 Posts
Enclosed trailer or utility (open)?

For an enclosed, here's an option that hasn't been mentioned: leave a deep cycle car battery in the trailer and wire a car alarm with shock sensors to it. Can also be used with pin switches to set the alarm off if someone opens a door. Course you'll have to charge the battery every now and then.

For either closed or utility: you can tie in motion sensors / pressure mats to your house alarm if you have one. I have a friend who lived in an area where trailer theft was a big problem. He and a bunch of his neighbors did this and it worked well (no more trailers stolen and a few people run off in the middle of the night). I think they backed the trailer tires on top of the pressure mats. The motion sensors were set up underneath and around the trailer.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Tripwire w/charges and lights coming in the drive, and a couple of Big, Black, meanass dogs behind the razorwire fence where the trailer is - oh, and then there's that female sniper w/night vision that hangs around just lookin' for an excuse to torment some fool :hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe: sorry, never had to worry 'bout that lock biz - apologize for the post :dunno: what came over me

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
i use a masterlock tounge lock and a little cheapo lock that goes thru the lever to raise the part that holds the trailer on the ball, on my car trailer it works pretty good. abd i use a big piece of steel cable with loops on it thru the wheels and around a tree for my small trailer, plus my nieghbor has a loud *** coon dog mix that barks at anything that moves LOL

·
Registered
968 Posts
I run a big log chain between the wheels, bolt and lock it to a tree. The Greatdane stands guard and lets me know if I need the 12ga or the Glock. Nothing will stop a theif that really wants your trailer. My goal is that they take enough time and make enough noise that it's not worth it. If they get past the dog they better hope I'm home and not moma. No one wants to meet an angry / scard woman with a gun, thats more unpredictable than the dog.

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,738 Posts
I worry about someone stealing my trailers constantly. The 48ft I remove the neck from when not using (two bit bolts) and the flat bed I just lock and hope it stays.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts