Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright my goal for my truck is around 400 rwhp as a DD. I don't know if this is asking alot since I believe my truck has PMR rods but I would like to get as close to this goal as possible. What times do you think I'll achieve in the 1320 with this much hp?

Anyways my main question here is, how do achieve this goal? I know it's going to be pretty hard and probably costly but that's fine as long as it's reasonable. As of now I have an intake, straight pipe exhaust, DP tuner and gauges at the shop. What is the next step in mods for me? I hear injectors but am afraid I won't get the full power I would without an aftermarket HPOP. So any advice from the vets would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I would think that 400 hp would put you at about 14.4-14.7 depending on the launch??? Since most 6.0 guys with an sct (bout 430hp) are runnin low 14s...

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wouldn't mind a 14 sec ride hehe. I was hoping for 13 secs but I see that's not going to happen without heavy modification to the block.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Tranny upgrades would be first for me, but I'm a scaredy-cat. Then you can always do turbo, injectors, etc. I read you have those rods but do you have headstuds?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would I need new studs for 400 hp? This might put a bigger dent in my wallet than I thought lol.

I was thinking just waiting for this tranny to die before I put in an order for a BTS or a John Wood.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
You shouldn need studs for only 400hp... but atleeast a valve body would be a start for the tranny

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
should I add anything to the tranny if I'm just going to get an aftermarket later?

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I've heard you don't wanna go over 400 w/out studs, I wouldn't want to. And yes over 40psi boost will stretch the bolts. (DIESELLL POWAHR!! hehe) But 400hp will twist up your tranny and make it die ALOT faster for sure lol

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was definitely going to buy a tranny but wasn't too concerned with it just yet as I don't tow much nor floor it everywhere... well, kinda lol.

Do y'all think I should get injectors first or hpop? Trying to set-up a laundry type list for mods so I have everything planned.

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
Tranny, then buy the rods. It's just so much easier and cheaper to put the rods in.

Plus you won't have to worry about one day blowing your motor up.

Trust me, your truck is NOT going to live at 400 hp... mine blew in 5 days :doh:

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tranny, then buy the rods. It's just so much easier and cheaper to put the rods in.

Trust me, your truck is NOT going to live at 400 hp... mine blew in 5 days :doh:
I saw that you had your motor out for a while but didn't hear what happened! Glad to see everything is working now, can't bear to see a Platinum down.

Would I have to pull the whole motor to put the rods in?

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Would I have to pull the whole motor to put the rods in?
Most definitely!

Man this sounds costly;
BTS tranny ~$4,000
Big oil ~$2,500
Turbo ~$2,500
Injectors ~$3,000
Rods $????
Etc $$$$$
Sounds like near $15Gs to me, that’s almost what I paid for my truck 4 years ago.
I can’t talk, I got close to that in just "repair" parts for my truck so far.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Call me crazy, but If I had a PMR truck I wouldn't do anything other than a chip for power adders. The risk of windowing your block once you start adding big injectors and a big turbo is far too high. Just look at Maintain, he's done his homework with these trucks and he knew his motor was a risk with PMR's and thought he might be able to get away with it for a little bit.... 5 days is all it took to blow his motor. If I was going to try and build power in a truck that I knew has PMR's, I'd find a Forged Rod block and build that and then do the swap. That seems the safest way for someone to build power in a daily driver, without running the high risk of blowing the motor as soon as you add a little fuel and air. Even with a forged Rod motor you run the risk of blowing it, but the risk is far greater with the PMR engine. I say either get a set of forged rods for your truck and pull the motor and install them, or get a complete engine and build that for power because the incovenience and cost of windowing your block just aint worth it.

just my $0.02

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
Well put^^

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
You can CHEAPLY upgrade your injectors - DIY-Injectors.com

bump up the CC's to stage 1's or ssimilar and you'll have mid 300's on fuel and that is great for PMR's... additionally it won't be costly.. no need for big oil, or anything else really. Your truck will be running with superchipped/edge programmed 6.0's... custom tuned 6.0's are a different story though.

Anyway, good luck!

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Set of stage 2 injectors, a good turbo, Turbonetics, fuel system and a built tranny will put you right at 400hp. I drove that way for about 80k with no issues and right at 400hp.

I drive it like I stole it every day, pull trailers about every day...

You DO NOT need oil to run stage 2 or hybrid injectors.

·
Ole White
5,253 Posts

I agree Marty you definately know this from experience and if you go this route you can go well over 400 and have piece of mind and not have to worry bout it.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dang guys, you've definitely got me scared of modding my truck :p

So far I'm thinking Forged Rods first, followed by injectors. Then a fully built tranny, followed by possibly a bigger HPOP if needed. Lastly a new turbo and then getting everything reflashed by Jody...This probably ain't going to happen too soon but I like to have a game plan so I don't mess up anything.

If there's anything y'all think I should change or add, let me know. What I really want is to be able to beat a chipped Cummins (not smarty tuned) or a chipped Dmax (not EFI live). I don't know if thats asking too much though. Thanks for all who chimed in!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts