Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have an 08' F250 XLT with the factory one-piece black textured plastic mirrors and I wanted to paint the top cap to match my truck.

I know I cant just order the cap from factory because the mirror is one full piece.

I wanted to know if anyone could help me out with how to sand down the texture properly and paint the caps.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
258 Posts
i know its not that hard ....my mustang has mirrors made form the same plastic and people always paint to match them

·
Registered
632 Posts
Hey guys I have an 08' F250 XLT with the factory one-piece black textured plastic mirrors and I wanted to paint the top cap to match my truck.

I know I cant just order the cap from factory because the mirror is one full piece.

I wanted to know if anyone could help me out with how to sand down the texture properly and paint the caps.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
i dont think anyone has ever painted the one piece mirrors but just take a scotch brite pad to scuff the shine off and then you're good to prime/paint/clear.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea thats what i think would be the simplest way to go. This might be a dumb question but how do i get paint to match the car?

·
Registered
292 Posts
you need to sand off all the texture first. use 180 grit, then 220 grit, 320 grit, then 800-1000 grit. You must get the plastic smooth. once smooth then clean with dawn and hot water. completly dry. then clean again with grease and film remover. Dry completely. then i use dupli color adhesion promotor, duplicolor paint, then clear coat. (i did mine the whole mirror not just the caps) about 6 months ago and they still look as good as new. this is a time consuming project. just take your time and you will be happy with the results.

·
Registered
95 Posts
when i used to have my F150 i did this, i used the same process that topncc used. the only difference in my process was i used the krylon plastic spray bottle. I still used the adhesion promotor and all. I also did about 2 or so clear coats. It does take a while to complete but really looks great when its finished. Also make sure that it is fairly warm outside while your painting. Good luck!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! I gonna see if I have some time to get goin on it this week and Ill take some pics when Im done!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Havent gotten around to painting them yet cuz my truck got stolen on tuesday but I got it back and its at the shop right now fixing a few things.

Now im wondering if I want to just paint the caps or paint the whole thing??

Anybody have pics?

·
Registered
292 Posts
paint the whole mirror. it will look awesome. sorry no pictures. you wont be disappointed. just prep well and take your time.

·
Super Moderator
19,740 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like the top cap look but I also like the whole thing painted also!

IDK what to do lol

·
Dont Mess With Texas!
5,788 Posts
I like the top cap look but I also like the whole thing painted also!

IDK what to do lol
if you are painting it white, go with just the top cap, i have seen some entire mirrors painted in colors and it looks great, the ones i have seen in white, i think they look hideous just my opinion

1 - 13 of 13 Posts