Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a back yard mech with 35 years of experience. I have done trans fluid changes but never on my torque shift. I have 89K on her now the last 2 have been done at the dealer. Not sure if it was just a drain and replace or a flush, but definitely not a hot flush. Can anyone give me some info on how to on my TS trans.

·
Lt. Negativity
1,739 Posts
A true trans flush you'll have to figure a way to push all the fuild out, problem DIY you really dont have a way to drain out the TQ convertor. Just dropping the pan is not enough, Trans takes 19.1 quarts and the pan you drop on holds I believe 7-9 quarts so your only getting 50 percent or less out of it. Best just do it at a dealer thats me

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking draining filling with 7-9 quarts driving about 1/2 hour, draining 2nd time 7-9 quarts driving 1/2 hour, then draining 7-9 quorts and dropping pan replacing screen clean magnet and reinstalling pan and fill. How does that sound Oh and replacing filter toilet filter at the end as well.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
There was a great how to article on how to do this in Nov. 10, 2005 truckblog.com. I saved the link to it and just went to look and it seems that only half of the article is there. It is missing the real procedural stuff. I have written the webmaster there and asked him to look into it or send me an archive copy or something. It really was the best article I have seen on the subject. Hopefully they'll get back to me sometime soon and I can post it up. Anyway here is the link.

How-To Flush Ford’s Torqueshift Transmission - Truckblog

·
Premium Member
11,053 Posts
Points to ponder: You attempt a flush, something goes wrong, you pay the repair costs.
Dealer does the tranny flush, something goes wrong, Ford may be responsible for the costs.

A dealer flushing the tranny does two things. It's done right, and you support your local techs.

We know Rescue has done his fair share of support!!:lol:

·
Premium Member
4,436 Posts
i did a bunch of reaserch including talking to a few techs..... bottom line is you are probably not going to get all fluid replaced DIY or dealer..... ask you dealer if they have a machine that can preheat the regulator to 165 degrees... if they actually have the machine to flush your torqshift they will know what you mean, everyone i asked said they did not have machine, or had not heard of it..... dealer just replaces filter and fluid in pan.... couple techs that did know what i was talking about said a few dealers could do it right, very few.... i just did the filter with 7 quarts and will just change out fluid every 20k with up front filter, drop pan every 60k from now on... thats my plan

·
Compression Ignition Addict
7,444 Posts
i did a bunch of reaserch including talking to a few techs..... bottom line is you are probably not going to get all fluid replaced DIY or dealer..... ask you dealer if they have a machine that can preheat the regulator to 165 degrees... if they actually have the machine to flush your torqshift they will know what you mean, everyone i asked said they did not have machine, or had not heard of it..... dealer just replaces filter and fluid in pan.... couple techs that did know what i was talking about said a few dealers could do it right, very few....
This was exactly my experience also! I called all the dealerships in town and several surrounding towns. MAYBE the lack of knowledge is an SA issue - but I NEVER got the right answer.

Granted, you get about 50% each time, but 4-5 drains and you get 90% to 95% of the old fluid out. The external filter does the rest (as far as cleaning up the fluid). This is a perfectly acceptable practice. AND ..... it is easy to drain the pan. Cost of 5 drains is about $200. Not too bad for every 30k miles.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
I guess I'm lucky I have a dealer that can do it right. When I asked them to change the internal filter they told me there was no need because their reverse flush clears anything in the screen out anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts