Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some advice guys... Truck sat about a week some heavy rain, anyway early this morning within 5 minutes of driving the CEL comes on and it's boosting up to 40psi:doh: about the 3rd time it hit 40psi climbing 7% grade sounded like a backfire through the intake, not typical turbo fart, anyway now intermittent no boost. It's not puking , no apparent loss of coolant. Sounds like the vanes are sticking but I want studs while under warrentee.

Loading the stock file and kitty back in, any suggestions cause I'll never be able to afford gaskets and studs out of warrentee. Thanks John

·
lifetime member
1,642 Posts
does the diablo read codes? if so, scan the truck and tell us the results. one of the techs may be able to help.

·
<--Pro Cooler Racer
8,217 Posts
If you were puking, then it would make asking easier. Take it in for the turbo to be checked, and while there strike up a conversation regarding how many trucks have they seen with a clogged EGR or blown head...see if they have any experiance/knowledge about aftermarket headstuds, and if they are willing to listen, explain that it could save with future warranty work by heading (no pun intended:doh:) off a future problem.:thumb:

Not all dealerships are cooperative though. So, if you have multiple dealers to choose from, it might take you several dealers to find one that'll do it.:thumb: It took me 2 dealers to find one.:nod:

Good luck in your mission.:thumb:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
does the diablo read codes? if so, scan the truck and tell us the results. one of the techs may be able to help.
The diablo claims to read codes but when its prompt it just comes up as "no trouble codes found" i tried a couple of times with same result, thanks for looking out

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you were puking, then it would make asking easier. Take it in for the turbo to be checked, and while there strike up a conversation regarding how many trucks have they seen with a clogged EGR or blown head...see if they have any experiance/knowledge about aftermarket headstuds, and if they are willing to listen, explain that it could save with future warranty work by heading (no pun intended:doh:) off a future problem.:thumb:

Not all dealerships are cooperative though. So, if you have multiple dealers to choose from, it might take you several dealers to find one that'll do it.:thumb: It took me 2 dealers to find one.:nod:

Good luck in your mission.:thumb:
Thanks also for the advice:thumb: I drove it off the lot with only 6 miles and have been the sole driver. I always ran it hard without beating it and stanadyne every tank hoping to keep that #@!% EGR clean! do you think turbo vanes would stick in just one week of sitting. :dunno:

·
<--Pro Cooler Racer
8,217 Posts
No problem, hope ya can get it done. It is a good piece of mind. :nod:

Now, about the turbo...:dunno: I have heard of vanes sticking even if the rig is driven. Sooooo, who knows. I doubt it for just a week though. Mine sat pretty still on the lot for 6 months and I didn't have a problem with the original turbo.

·
Registered
125 Posts
First off you need to check the r.s. hot cac tube hose at the turbo for any signs of cracking or spongyness. It would be nice to know how many miles on this trk. & if you let it sit idling for long periods of times. But it sounds as though you may have a vgt plate rusted & sticking from siting in the rain & condensation building up on the plate & causing the plate to hang up. I've disassembled many & found alot of rust buildup & cleaned them successfully & some i've had to replace the turbo for excessive pitting & could'nt be cleaned. Some have had alot of carbon buildup & that was caused from letting it idle for long periods of times. Good luck!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First off you need to check the r.s. hot cac tube hose at the turbo for any signs of cracking or spongyness. It would be nice to know how many miles on this trk. & if you let it sit idling for long periods of times. But it sounds as though you may have a vgt plate rusted & sticking from siting in the rain & condensation building up on the plate & causing the plate to hang up. I've disassembled many & found alot of rust buildup & cleaned them successfully & some i've had to replace the turbo for excessive pitting & could'nt be cleaned. Some have had alot of carbon buildup & that was caused from letting it idle for long periods of times. Good luck!!
I should have included milage:doh: 29K and yes cac tube is spongy and does show sings of cracking when squeezed, also exessivley oiley on both the turbo side and intercooler side which i'm constantly cleaning. read about the ccv mod might help that. No exessive idling longer than 5 min. Thanks for the reply:thumb:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
free bump :bump:
:thumb: Thanks for the bump man and I'll keep you guys posted, I almost want to tear into it myself in the garage but i'll leave it to the diesel technicians

·
Registered
786 Posts
Pour some coolant on the degas? lol

I've been told if you tell them that your having a hard time cold starting it, loss of coolant, and loss of power until hot they'll probably bite because the dealer makes money off warrantee work.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I know the dealers make alot off the warr.as long as there are no kickbacks the the dealers go into the hole but I sure don't but I don't make as much. Ford puts us techs in a tight bind & don't pay worth a crap. They expect us to do the time in there prespective. They don't even like us doing shortcuts but we have to sometimes to beat the labor times.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Need some advice guys... Truck sat about a week some heavy rain, anyway early this morning within 5 minutes of driving the CEL comes on and it's boosting up to 40psi:doh: about the 3rd time it hit 40psi climbing 7% grade sounded like a backfire through the intake, not typical turbo fart, anyway now intermittent no boost. It's not puking , no apparent loss of coolant. Sounds like the vanes are sticking but I want studs while under warrentee.

Loading the stock file and kitty back in, any suggestions cause I'll never be able to afford gaskets and studs out of warrentee. Thanks John
Well spoke with the dealer this morning and they are apparently "backed up" with diesel work and can't look at my truck until next thursday 19th :( which I can understand in this heat, stay cool everyone for those of us who work outside

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
If you were reaching 40 psi of boost (which sounds like the turbo is sticking) then the "pop" you heard might have been one of your IC hoses splitting or coming off its fitting so check your hoses carefully.

It could also be your intercooler popping one of its ends off, the stock intercoolers have been known to do that.

Either of these things would explain why you have low boost pressure after you heard the "pop".

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Question for all members and techs, I cleaned the cac tube and egr myself which was not half as bad as pics of coked up egr valves I have seen on sites. Reset the batteries and the truck runs perfect:thumb: I drove about 175 miles mix of highway and backroads with max boost of 29psi. This is with the stock file and cat, just have AFE, no muff. Think I will be cancelling my appt with ford. Have you guys ever come across a VGT plate rusting and sticking and just freeing up on it's own??? Whats nice about working on your own truck it does give the encoragment to go deeper :nod:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just wanted to say thanks again to members of this site:thumb:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts