Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 05 DUAL REAR WHEEL CREW CAB 6.0 psd F350 has factory overload springs. I recently purchased a new aluminum horse trailer with a 10 foot living quarter. The floor of the trailer is 28 feet. I have not weighed it yet but I suspect its 10 - 12K loaded which would make the average rule of thumb tongue weight to be 20% I would say @ 2,500 LBS.
My point... or question is. My truck lowers @ 6 inches when the trailer sets on it. With out getting into major upgrades are there any suggestions to lifting the truck up to this load? I was thinking there must be an additional Overload spring that could be installed. I have had bad experiences with airbags so I wanted to stay away from that option. Although the sag is not bad and the truck certainly can pull this beast little too no effort. Except on the pocket book when I get near the pumps. (4.69 a gal here on Cap Cod, ma)
Let me know if you have any ideas for me.

Thanks

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
You should be able to put a helper spring on the rear. How ever if it was me I would go with Air Bags. For two reasons, 1 I know they will work for your needs. 2 they will provide you with a better ride quality then a helper spring.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Can Airbags be installed with the overload spring? I thought those would have to be removed.

·
Premium Member
19,112 Posts
I have airbags with my overloads, but mine is not a dually. At the very least, here's a bump for someone who might know.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Thanks. Can Airbags be installed with the overload spring? I thought those would have to be removed.
I don't see why not. You keep the spring pack when you install the air bags. Unless you want to go complete air ride suspension. But I think most people keep the springs and use the bags as a supplement to the stock suspension.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate the advise. The truck is certianly living up to my expectations. We are fortunate that it is only a recreational vehical and i don't have to drive it daily.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had airbags on a previous truck with the on board compressor and contoller in the truck. They easily installed. however, I felt that when inflated they offerred an unstable ride. To be truthfull though they were on a light duty pick up and I think the tires were not properly load rated. Hence the jump to the F350. This truck can definately haul. But I would like a stand tall look at the same time. Some one metioned to me that the helper springs could be improved upon so when the load was on they would come into play but with no load they were disengaged.

·
Premium Member
19,112 Posts
I had airbags on a previous truck with the on board compressor and contoller in the truck. They easily installed. however, I felt that when inflated they offerred an unstable ride. To be truthfull though they were on a light duty pick up and I think the tires were not properly load rated. Hence the jump to the F350. This truck can definately haul. But I would like a stand tall look at the same time. Some one metioned to me that the helper springs could be improved upon so when the load was on they would come into play but with no load they were disengaged.
I believe you are thinking of a helper spring, which will ride firm all day every day, while bags you can drop the pressure to 10psi and it will smooth out the ride... I love my bags.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts