Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just got back from a decent drive and I noticed that smell of burning brakes. I drove about 50 miles to the gun range and didn't smell anything. We were there for a couple hours, then drove 35 miles to my grandparents house and again didn't smell anything, we were only there for about 10-15 mins. Then we drove 15 miles back home and got hit with a tsunami of the smell of burning brakes. Drivers side rear wheel is abnormally hot and the rest are at a normal temp.

My first thought is a sticking caliper, but in my current time / financial situation I really don't want to believe it lol. Is there any other possibilities? How would I tell for sure if I have a sticking caliper? I leave Monday for California so I probably won't get around to finding anything out until I get back some time in April.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
You might pull the caliper and check your slide pins first to see if they're bound before you condemn the caliper. Other than that, I think you're on the right track, unfortunately.

-jokester

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do I check slide pins? Sorry, I'm sure it's stupid easy but brakes are one thing that I just don't like to touch lol.

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
How do I check slide pins? Sorry, I'm sure it's stupid easy but brakes are one thing that I just don't like to touch lol.
There's a total of 4 bolts that hold the brake on the 2 large ones hold the bracket on, the 2 smaller ones go through the slide pins and secure the caliper to the bracket. Pull the smaller bolts out and see if the slide pins move, if they don't move easily or not at all grease them really well and/or replace them.

Reactions: Red Ford

·
Administrator
21,697 Posts
I hit mine with a hammer and spray em with PB... but you really should just swap out an OEM caliper, the big box stores just seem to lock right back up.
@fordsvtparts slings our OEM parts.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm about half way to doing it (got all the tools ready, wheel loosened) but everyone's sleeping so I don't want to make a ton of noise. Can I check the slide pins without taking the caliper off?

On a good note the rear brakes are pretty much new from what I can tell.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, slides are all good, and I'm no expert but I'm assuming my pads aren't supposed to look like a ricers exhaust tip?

It looks like someone parked this truck axle deep in salt water, I'm assuming my brakes shouldn't be this rusty? The brakes are the only part that have rust on it, everything else looks like it was well taken care of, not sprayed over rust. I was trying to put the caliper back on and decided I may as well show some pics and get opinions before I put everything back together. Truth be told I'm having a difficult time getting the pistons to go back in, I took the cap off of the master cylinder and I'm using a piece of wood and a C clamp with little to no luck. I just don't have a lot of leverage, anyone else got some other tips?

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
That's rusty, now whether or not it's something to be concerned about IDK

Loosen the bleeder nipple on the caliper then try compressing it with a clamp.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got another C clamp so I can compress the pistons individually (with a piece of wood in between the piston and clamp), the top one compresses but the bottom one is giving me a hard time. I'm assuming the caliper is bad but I think I'm going to have someone else look at it as well when I get back home before I start throwing parts at it.

I will try the bleeder valve to get them back in, not something I wanted to do because I don't like to bleed brakes but I think it's my last option at this point.

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
Hook up a small hose to it and have in drain into a bottle and as soon as you open it start compressing little to no air to should get in.

Reactions: Red Ford

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I ate lunch and took another look at it. Turns out I'm being a big dumb goof and I didn't have my C clamp centered on the piston. I got everything back together, drove a couple miles to make sure everything is together right so for now I'm going to leave it until I get back home some time next month. When I get home I'm going to take it to a brake shop and see what they say.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts