Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be working on plumbing my filteration unit this weekend. Testing the filtered oil would then be the next step. Tell me what you guys are using for hot-plate testing. I have the write up from the Frybrid site but what do you guys actually use for the hot-plate? Where do you get a hot-plate that you can control the temperature to 320*?:dunno:

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
I have a oil in water test kit, that you can calibrate for different PPM scales. It has a chemical reagent that reacts witht he water to create a pressure.. which is reflected on a gage. Mobil 1 developed it to test for water in crankcase oil, but it works just find for anything with an oil like viscoity.

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,092 Posts
Sciulli do you sell them or have any info where to find them:thumb:

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a oil in water test kit, that you can calibrate for different PPM scales. It has a chemical reagent that reacts witht he water to create a pressure.. which is reflected on a gage. Mobil 1 developed it to test for water in crankcase oil, but it works just find for anything with an oil like viscoity.
I think I saw one of those kits on one of the bio sites. Is this one that runs like $150 - $179?

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
an electric skillet from the thrift store...$2.00

·
Premium Member
14,491 Posts
Most of the electric skillets have a temp control on the plug into the skillet. Do like Clay said, hit the thrift store.:thumb: And you can always check it by using a cooking thermometer.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Leave it to me to make something more complicated than it needs to be:tard:. I was hoping to use something that looked more impressive than a $2 skillet after all it needs to look good with my white coat and safety googles:hehe::rofl:. Thanks for your help everyone:thumb:.

·
Premium Member
14,491 Posts
Leave it to me to make something more complicated than it needs to be:tard:. I was hoping to use something that looked more impressive than a $2 skillet after all it needs to look good with my white coat and safety googles:hehe::rofl:. Thanks for your help everyone:thumb:.
Too funny!:hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe: You could always build a stainless cradle for the skillet.:thumb::rofl:

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
I only crackle tested the first few batches of oil. Once i started getting good results and kept getting good results, i tossed my skillet. (old used one from the kitchen)
I don't crackle test my oil anymore. It was pretty water free when i got it from the resturants anyway.
Besides water won't go past the Donaldson on board filter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts