Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that since my pick ups are on the way home, and usually around 200 degrees when I get them, I could skip the heating step for settleing. I pour the oil through a 10, 5, and (qty-2)1 micron socks into a 25 gallon drum with a bottom drain on it. If I insulate that drum to help it cool more slowly, the water separation should take place just as if the oil was heated after the fact. So I would then drain off water, and drain into my storage tank. My oil is pretty dry according to hot pan testing anyway. Anyone see any problem with this theory??

I'm mainly looking for CHenry to respond on this one.

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
Check the rating on your socks, the polyprop filbers stretch if the oil is hotter than 130F. But yes the theory would work if you let it settle after filter, but it would be better to have a drain on the bottom for the water. and have a place on the side of the barrel 2-4" off the bottom where you tap the oil off.

The only sugestion that I have why it wouldnt work is the heating to settle out the water also lets the a good amount of particulate settle out before you filter it thus increasing the life of your filters.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I shut up too since this is directed solely at Clay.

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
I shut up too since this is directed solely at Clay.
Well he might as well have just pm'ed him, or I am going to put my 2cents in.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I was picking at clay, all info is appreciated.:p

Sorry if I rubbed anyone the wrong way with that.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I was picking at clay, all info is appreciated.:p
Since you put it that way......

There's no way the oil can settle if you're driving with it. It'll will be mixing big time. Not sure how you would unload a "hot" barrel from the truck after you got home but again big time mixing doing so.

I suppose once you got it home and it was actually settling without being moved about, if the temperture was still in the zone, water would settle. How much would prob depend on the amount of water in the oil in the first place. The only way for you to know for sure is to give it a try and then do a hot pan test.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I pick it up in containers, and dump the containers in the drum when I get home. That is good to know about the bags stretching at 130f. The reason I thought to pour through filters before letting it settle was that it is filtered out of the fryers pretty decently, and that it would cut the process of heating it again before running through the filter to melt the fats.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fine I will keep my advice alllll to myself!!!!
I got your advice the other day at the house, just looking for a couple other opinions.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Sorry about this Justin but it's a slow night hear at st. 4

While working hard at station 4 :hehe: I came up with a fool proof idea: Take the oil home and dump it in the drum, heat to about 350 or so (you don't need a thermometer just dip a finger in it, trust me on this one) and then let it settle for 6-8 months minimum. Then drain off the bottom 3/4's of the barrel and then heat back to 350 (remember the finger method from before) and then pour it through the filter bags. Don't worry they can stretch out a few feet and still be good. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
While working hard at station 4 :hehe: I came up with a fool proof idea: Take the oil home and dump it in the drum, heat to about 350 or so (you don't need a thermometer just dip a finger in it, trust me on this one) and then let it settle for 6-8 months minimum. Then drain off the bottom 3/4's of the barrel and then heat back to 350 (remember the finger method from before) and then pour it through the filter bags. Don't worry they can stretch out a few feet and still be good. :thumb:
Now see, that's the kind of help I was looking for. What do I do with the bottom 3/4 of the barrell after I drain it off? Just drain it to the street? And is the oil ready to go into the truck after the second heating?

·
Registered
169 Posts
:doh: I can't believe you left off the most important part. After following the above steps you should only pump off the top two inches of whatever is left.

Should work great for a diesel powered moped. :hehe: :rofl: :thumb:

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought the moped oil had to be filtered to 1/10th micron?

Once a thread goes this way, there's no turning back.....

·
Registered
424 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
I thought the moped oil had to be filtered to 1/10th micron?
In that case just repeat the heat, stick finger, dump off 3/4th cycle a few more times and change the pumping off the top 2 inches to the top 1 inch. :nod:

You might have to stand on one foot while doing this..... helps equalize the balance of viscosity. I not sure how... read it on a alt fuel forum somewhere. Must be true. :)

·
Registered
739 Posts
Now see, that's the kind of help I was looking for. What do I do with the bottom 3/4 of the barrell after I drain it off? Just drain it to the street? And is the oil ready to go into the truck after the second heating?

You save the bottom 3/4 of the barrel and put it on Duffy's food. He will love it, Dakota hasn't stopped licking my patio floor for about 4 months:rofl:

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah, duff's been waiting for me to change my filter again on the truck, he makes sure there aren't any oil spots on the driveway.

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
As far as the filter stretching out - get a filter bag basket to avoid this...ANY filter bag will stretch whether heated or not without the use of a basket to hold the shape thus letting particles larger than the micron rating pass through.
As far as skipping the heating process and trusting that ALL the oil you pick up is 200* your consistancy just went out the window. Those cooks aren't taking a temp reading when they drain, they do it when they have time. it maybe 250* or it may be 150. And after it sites an unknown amount of time it has cooled some before you pick it up.
I would at least take a temp reading after its all mixed in your settling barrel...if its below 150, heat it up, if its above that, leave it to settle.
once something proves to work, all things need to remain consistent.

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Oh and i would settle before filtering because your going to use more bag filters otherwise.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, I have gotten that far now. I built a filter basket out of a submersible sand screen I had at work, and I'm setting up the system to pour through a drum top strainer to the settling drum. Then pump through my bags with the basket in place into the storage container. I settled the last batch I got to see what kind of water and sediment I got out of it. I hot pan tested the oil off the bottom after sitting over night, being poured in at around 160f. I got very tiny bubbles on the hot pan, but nothing extreme. Apparently this stuff's pretty dry when I get it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts