Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm a third of the way through my egr delete. Went to take off the horizontal cooler and I rounded the bottom 10mm bolt in the back of the cooler. I'm gonna try the vise grip method tomorrow while it sits in WD all night. My question was, if worse comes to worse, can I grind the head of the bolt off and pull the rest of the threads out with the cooler? Or is the bolt threaded the entire length to we're it would still need to be unthreaded? I'm horrible at explaining myself. Any insight or ideas would be very welcome

·
Registered
249 Posts
Get PB blaster if you can or a real penetrating oil. Wd-40 is like water compared to KY. If your using 12 point wrench/socket through that crap in the away and grab a 6 point. Also use a good brand name 6 point. I stripped my upper horizontal egr cooler with 12 point wrench. After a few hour soak and 6 point it came out.

Vise grips hardly work, their a hack tool any way. I'd cut it off as the threads are in the EGR cooler itself not the pipe.

·
Premium Member
5,699 Posts
heat is the only way to tackle those bolts in PA. I won't go near them without a oxy acetelyne torch in my hand

just be glad you're not trying to get to those bolts on the back of the turbo, they're a real challenge

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After hours upon hours of work, I got my egr delete and intake elbow knocked out about 1 yesterday morning. I have never been so consistantly pissed off in my life, but it's over.... Everything came out great other than I didn't put the steering stem back together exactly right. Now my cruise control and horn don't work. Easy fix though, thanks for all the advice guys

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Dang..... and this is why I'm so freaked out about doing this to my truck... I'm scared I would just set it on fire and walk away lmao!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's worth it once you get a glance at the egr valve. It was pretty nasty. The worst of it is just getting the coolers out. The bolts on the horizontal cooler were a real pain but the dremmel tool worked out pretty well. It really cleans up the inside of your engine compartment too

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
yea thats what I hear and I all ready own the delete kit and the new intake pipe just really not ready to do something like that by myself. I changed the dadgum tension pulely and thought I was gonna blow a gasket by the time I was finished, not to mention my arms were all scared up!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I here ya, I was pretty unsure of myself in doing it but thankfully we have google, YouTube, and all the guys on here haha. I think it took me about 6 hours to actually work on the truck. Spent a lot of time pacing back and forth in the garage in frustration. Take a few days vacation from work and dig in. I'm pretty new to the whole diesel scene and I could do it haha.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
well I appreciate your encouraging words and maybe one day I'll take time and get it done....

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
After hours upon hours of work, I got my egr delete and intake elbow knocked out about 1 yesterday morning. I have never been so consistantly pissed off in my life, but it's over.... Everything came out great other than I didn't put the steering stem back together exactly right. Now my cruise control and horn don't work. Easy fix though, thanks for all the advice guys

If the steering column turned with the shaft out, and now the cruise and horn doesn't work, the clock spring is likely broke. Is the airbag light on also?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sounds about right, nope the air bag light isn't on. Just no horn or cruise. What's is a clock spring and how would I know if it broke or not?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts