Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok well i went to change my glowplugs today and it's the first time i've changed them since i bought the truck wich is about 2 months ago any way i was pulling the first one out when the top of the glowplug comes off luckily i got it out then i went to pull the glow plug out and all but the center of the glowplug came out well i looked down in the hole and the center of the glow plug was sticking out so i got a pair of pliers on it but it still wouldnt come out it was like it was siezed in there or ocked up well after about 30-40 minutes of pulling tugging and twisting it i gave up put it all back together including the glowplug the way it was and drove away

How do i get the center of the glowplug out

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,739 Posts
I dont know man. Havent had one do that to me yet. Good luck with it though!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hopefully it don't find it's way out, like in the cylinder or head and ruin the motor. Then you will have fuel in the oil, lose compression in the cylinder, and a lot of other bad things can happen.:doh:

·
Registered
318 Posts
or it could just shoot out the exhaust side and out the tail pipe...

I knew a guy that used to do that on the old 6.5 chevy diesels, tips would break off and he would just run it!

·
Premium Member
8,298 Posts
this happened to me and i had to pull the head off to get it out. as far as i know that is the only way. maybe a tech will have a trick so you don't have to do what i did. sorry to hear that. it always sucks when a fairly simple job turns into a pain. keep us posted.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Are you sure they swell or just build up of carbon and crap?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Read somewhere if you hit it in the cylinder, you can take the injector cup out and possibly come out through the injector cup hole. :dunno:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i figured i'd take it to a mechanic and let them mess with it

·
Registered
318 Posts
yea they swell, didnt think these had problems though, obviously I thought wrong...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts