Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, this is my first post. I have been looking at excursions for a few years now and I'm finally ready to pull the trigger on one when I find the right one. I have a question for you guys if you would be so kind to help me out. I found a 2005 excursion 4x4 limited with the 6.0l of course and the body and interior is in great condition. No body rust and even the undercarriage is mostly rust free. It does however have 233,500 miles on it. It's at a dealer so I can't find out what kind of work has been done on it in the past. The dealer says it was owned by an elderly man who did not hot rod it, did not have a tuner on it and took care of it but obviously they are going to say whatever it takes to sell it. I test drove it and it does drive great, runs good and steady and has lots of power but I have no diesel experience to compare it to other than driving a big rig. It also has some oil on the drivers side of the block but not enough to drip. They are asking $11,000. Do you guys think this is a good deal or should I back away slowly? Thanks in advance for any advice, I have already learned a ton about the problems with the 6.0l just by reading this forum for the last couple of days. Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody have any thoughts of whether it's a good deal or not. I have no experience with the 6.0l and don't want to buy something I'm going to regret. Any thoughts about it will be much appreciated.

·
Administrator
21,471 Posts
Im going to be honest here, you are asking our opinion on a rig that we cannot see/hear with details from a guy who "have no diesel experience".

Its a tough position to be in.

That said, we have several threads about what to look for in a 6.0 and how to monitor it.

General discussion stickies (LINK)

Monitoring a 6.0

Ford acronyms

And several threads about buying them:

https://www.google.com/search?q=looking+used+6.0+powerstroke.org+site:www.powerstroke.org&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS851US851&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiVqMPxntHnAhUK2FkKHahXBmsQrQIoBDAAegQIBRAN&biw=1495&bih=771

My advice is read up, and find a local diesel performance shop people trust and pay them to shake it down.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Hi everybody, this is my first post. I have been looking at excursions for a few years now and I'm finally ready to pull the trigger on one when I find the right one. I have a question for you guys if you would be so kind to help me out. I found a 2005 excursion 4x4 limited with the 6.0l of course and the body and interior is in great condition. No body rust and even the undercarriage is mostly rust free. It does however have 233,500 miles on it. It's at a dealer so I can't find out what kind of work has been done on it in the past. The dealer says it was owned by an elderly man who did not hot rod it, did not have a tuner on it and took care of it but obviously they are going to say whatever it takes to sell it. I test drove it and it does drive great, runs good and steady and has lots of power but I have no diesel experience to compare it to other than driving a big rig. It also has some oil on the drivers side of the block but not enough to drip. They are asking $11,000. Do you guys think this is a good deal or should I back away slowly? Thanks in advance for any advice, I have already learned a ton about the problems with the 6.0l just by reading this forum for the last couple of days. Thanks!
Only if you expect/can afford to spend another 10k at any point in time, and that could be on the conservative end as I have spent twice that on mine.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I appreciate the honesty. I have been researching about the 6.0l for years now including watching every video powerstrokehelp.com has put out so I'm aware of all the issues but since I have never owned one I just thought I would ask before getting serious about negotiating.

Only if you expect/can afford to spend another 10k at any point in time, and that could be on the conservative end as I have spent twice that on mine.

I've seen that said many times now so I'm curious...is that kind of price including having a shop do all the work and mods? I will do everything myself including head gaskets. I don't have diesel experience but I'm a gear head and have pulled and rebuilt many engines so I'm not afraid to get dirty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Letsmow10, I meant to put your saying in a quote. Sorry I'm trying to figure this stuff out.

·
Administrator
21,471 Posts
10-15k will get you the cab up treatment with the standard goodies at most reputable shops.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Thanks guys, I appreciate the honesty. I have been researching about the 6.0l for years now including watching every video powerstrokehelp.com has put out so I'm aware of all the issues but since I have never owned one I just thought I would ask before getting serious about negotiating.

I've seen that said many times now so I'm curious...is that kind of price including having a shop do all the work and mods? I will do everything myself including head gaskets. I don't have diesel experience but I'm a gear head and have pulled and rebuilt many engines so I'm not afraid to get dirty.
The 10k number would include having a long block built by someone and you doing the work to install it. It just all depends on what your goals are. I have replaced almost every part of my Excursion except the transmission. You could get lucky and drive it for 200k with minimal maintenance and work but chances are thT wont be the case these are aging trucks. I just always plan for the worse because as I said I have replaced almost everything on my Ex.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
The 10k number would include having a long block built by someone and you doing the work to install it. It just all depends on what your goals are. I have replaced almost every part of my Excursion except the transmission. You could get lucky and drive it for 200k with minimal maintenance and work but chances are thT wont be the case these are aging trucks. I just always plan for the worse because as I said I have replaced almost everything on my Ex.

So with all that said, can you get a newer SUV with anywhere near what an Ex is with that kind of cool factor for anywhere near 20-25k? No, not at all. Thats why I have put the money in mine because there is nothing like it. She still turns heads and gets compliments every where she goes. You just don't get that with any ol suv. Not trying to discourage your decision. I just want to be up front and honest vs you buying one and then being on the forums asking what you got yourself into.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
So with all that said, can you get a newer SUV with anywhere near what an Ex is with that kind of cool factor for anywhere near 20-25k? No, not at all. Thats why I have put the money in mine because there is nothing like it. She still turns heads and gets compliments every where she goes. You just don't get that with any ol suv. Not trying to discourage your decision. I just want to be up front and honest vs you buying one and then being on the forums asking what you got yourself into.

And one more thing... you have the best fourm and best community there is at your fingertips. The powerstroke family is truly an awesome group of people who are always willing to help. For the most part even the ones who are selling you the parts. Just educate yourself and you will make the right decision.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just for a price reference - In North Georgia (2016) I paid 10K for a stock 4x2 with 155K on the clock at time of purchase. Today, there is a 4x4 in a local lot with 175K going for 8K! Anyone Ex lookers down for a trip to Jasper?!?

I probably spent the better part of a year looking, b/c the good ones are so hard to find. Might have looked at at least 6.

Be patient and definitely be ready to have a maintenance (and wear/tear) schedule in place. @letsmow10 hit on it...you will have to replace virtually everthing b/c of the age that they are getting to.

cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, you guys have already helped me a lot. I definitely came to the right place for help. Thanks guys. I'm ready to put the money and time into making one into a good reliable truck, I just want to get one in the best shape and lowest miles for the best price I can before dumping more money into it. You guys have been a tremendous help with my decision making and I really appreciate it!! I'm going to continue looking to see if I can find one in just as good of shape (body and interior) with less miles for around the same price. Looking forward to owning one and getting experience so I can contribute and help others. I wish I was closer to Jasper, I would definitely be interested in that ex for 8K.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Some good advice in this thread for sure.

Additionally, select the shop for your pre-purchase inspection as if you needed major work performed. In other words, take the time required to find someone who thoroughly knows the 6.0 and its idiosyncrasies. Make it into a game – pretend like you’re betting $10,000+ on the mechanic’s detection skills…

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
Wow, you guys have already helped me a lot. I definitely came to the right place for help. Thanks guys. I'm ready to put the money and time into making one into a good reliable truck, I just want to get one in the best shape and lowest miles for the best price I can before dumping more money into it. You guys have been a tremendous help with my decision making and I really appreciate it!! I'm going to continue looking to see if I can find one in just as good of shape (body and interior) with less miles for around the same price. Looking forward to owning one and getting experience so I can contribute and help others. I wish I was closer to Jasper, I would definitely be interested in that ex for 8K.
Since you're looking for the best available model, it may involve some long-distance due diligence and a possibly plane ticket or two. I've done that more than a few times and it was usually worth the cost of the ticket. Once you start thinking "country-wide", it definitely opens-up the inventory.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was just thinking that I need to broaden my search and be willing to travel. Good advice, thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
I looked for a long time and used my Edge CTS 2 on them. Most of the ones I tried with mileage in 125K to 200k needed an oil cooler. The others were priced out of my range. In the end I chose a rust free fixer upper. It needs a TON!

k

·
Registered
87 Posts
[/QUOTE] I wish I was closer to Jasper, I would definitely be interested in that ex for 8K.[/QUOTE]
Already gone!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are you happy with the Edge CTS 2? I've noticed the Edge tuners mentioned in a few different posts and I'm currently researching different tuners so I can discover issues with the trucks I look at. Any pointers on what to look for as far as tuners/monitors?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wish I was closer to Jasper, I would definitely be interested in that ex for 8K.[/QUOTE]
Already gone![/QUOTE]

Not surprised. Any time I see one for what appears to be a reasonable price, they get snatched up in a hurry!

·
Registered
7 Posts
well I have just acquired my eddie 6.0. 123,000miles
all seemed ok !!! but then with a few days to go over it as you do fault finding while not really looking.

1. LED'S in cab seemed to be ok but reading lights not working. not really a prob but??
2, 4x4 low does not show on dash so does that mean its not working, don't know. YET.
3 no coolant in the rad I,e just water DOH, should have seen that straight away, self inflicted.
4 rough start up at cold and nasty hard up shifts when warm ok.
I received the car hot and didn't find out till the following day ooppppssss.

5 air con works front and rear, but does not change from screen footwell, to facia, self inflicted again hope its some thing simple

my short experience so far, a week down the line. but it goes like hell and very good on fuel 13ltrs /100k so far.

cheers steve h

1 - 20 of 22 Posts