Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This goes way back, but I did the foil delete, then I did the hood insulation delete to hear even more whistle. It was ok, but I wanted more. So, when I put on my ATS housing to fix my turbo surge, I went ahead and did a WW just for the sound. Holy 5h1t!:eek: It was so loud this way. The whistle was driving me nuts on the highway. It sounded great when it was spooling, but then it was too much. I was ready to take the WW out, when I remembered the hood insulation. :doh:
I put it back in and now I love it again. It is the perfect amount of whistle now. I didn't think that piece of cardboard made THAT much of a diff., but boy it does.

The reson i'm posting this is for the guys out there that just can't get enough whistle in the cab. If you have done the foil delete and a WW, then you should try removing this from the hood. It literally takes less than 5 minutes to do, and it's free, and it's easily reversible in 5 minutes.

You'll either love it and be glad you did it, or you'll have to put it back right away.

Let me know if anyone else has had the same experience with it...

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
I wish mine had more insulation, I can’t hardly have a conversation while driving mine.
It’s nice to roll that passenger window down and listen to it echo sometimes though.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I haven't done the foil delete, but might get on that soon. I was going to do the insulation delete but heard it doesn't increase whistle that much but now that you say it does, I'm going to give it a try :thumb:

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really didn't notice that much of a difference when I first removed it. But when I had the WW in...That's when it really made a difference.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Before my Dad gave me the truck he said he had bought a new wheel for the turbo but I don't know if it's aftermarket or another stocker. And if it is aftermarket, I don't know what brand it would be or whatever.

So far, the straight pipe is playing the music loud and clear :D

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All the aftermarket wheels are the same. They are all the early '99 style. Wicked Wheel is just one brand. But if he did buy an aftermarket one, it is athe same thing as the WW. :thumb:

·
Registered
719 Posts
Oh, that's good to know. Thanks man! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
All you got to do is look into the intake with a flash light at the wheel. If the fins are evenly spaced and look normal then it’s a stock style wheel. If the look kinda funny and are two close together then a space and two more then is the early 99 style wicked wheel.

Here is a pic of the “good” wheel on my 3rd turbo

and the regular wheel from my second turbo

and a dusted factory early 99 wheel from my first turbo

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll have to post a pic of mine. It is a little different looking than yours. Works the same, and the same basic idea with the alternating size vanes and different spacing of them, but if I remember, looked a little different.

BTW, I think the term dusted is being nice for what that thing looks like!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Thanks for the pics! I really need to clean my intake so I figure I might as well check it out.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
I was wondering if the hood insulation would make a big difference .. I think mine has a good amount of whistle right now it is a early 99 so it would have the ww already i assume... I dont know if id want more noise when I'm pulling the trailer constantly running 12-15 lbs boost it may get annoying on long trips...LOL

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
where is a good place to get a WW? but right now im not sure what im goin to do with my truck, im thinkin of getting rid of it to get a newer one. like 02 or 03. i want the newer interior and maybe something with less miles.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
this will sound stupid but what is the WW mod?

thanks
Wicked wheel, basically its the turbo impeller that came stock in the early 99 but was changed in the 99.5-03 models. It is a little louder but it helps prevent the turbo from surging under high boost conditions when modding the truck to run harder than stock settings. They cost around $75 and in my opinion is a good investment if running over 20 psi boost or if you’re having surging issues. If a turbo is allowed to surge too much it will break eventually like mine did. The WW is not a complete cure for surge but it does seem to help it a lot and is relatively cheap.

·
Registered
291 Posts
damn your quick frog! i didnt even get to edit my post yet. i felt stupid for posting that, i didnt read the rest of the posts. i figured it out for myself but i was woundering what it was anyways cause i kept hearing about it. thanks though.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
where is a good place to get a WW? but right now im not sure what im goin to do with my truck, im thinkin of getting rid of it to get a newer one. like 02 or 03. i want the newer interior and maybe something with less miles.
Keep that 2000, to heck with those new fangled young hipsters trucks like the 02 and 03's

·
Registered
291 Posts
lol yeah im still deciding. i need to get some more credit goin so i can get a house.

its rediculous how this credit system works so thats one of my options.

plus i get bored with stuff so i want to get new things.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
I removed my insulation but only because it was sagging and rubbing on the belt. I was affraid of damage so it got removed.

·
Registered
555 Posts
does the ww and the ats housing cure turbo surge?? Also, should I worry about doing this if I plan to replace the turbo down the road anyway??

Where is a good place to pick them up?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts