Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 6.0 and the other day, I turned my AC on, and after about a minute my skin started to itch.

I was able to track the issue down to a pesky mouse chewing up my hood insulation and is flaking off and whatnot and getting sucked into the AC. I was hoping anyone has a fix, like spraying an adhesive of some sort to stick it and stop from flaking and what not.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Remove it

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
This, I had to remove mine after a few boots were blown off.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Would this cause any unnecessary issues pertaining to heat?
No, no unless there is an engine fire. Maybe a little more noise but not enough that I have ever been able to tell a difference. You might be able to find a replacement at a local scrap yard if you really cared to replace it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
I bought an '07 2 years ago.. i didn't even know it was supposed to have one...LOL

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
my '06 is bare

Reactions: jokester00

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,999 Posts
IIRC they removed it in 04...."maybe in late 04.

·
Registered
976 Posts
There were a lot of things "removed" in 2003. 2002 was the height where specific insulation items were installed and other things in the wiring harness, door lights, glove box light, XLT's had the Lariet harnesses, brake noise insulators downgraded, whatever. Where ever they could start saving money.

Mark is right, the hood insulation took longer because the supplier had already punched a ton of them out per contract as they were I believe moving the plant out of the country.

·
Registered
650 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,676 Posts
Where you driving down the road when the itching started???

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where you driving down the road when the itching started???
Nah, the pickup was originally my grandfather’s and he passed two years ago and the truck pretty much sat the entire time till about a month ago.

It started as soon as I turned the AC on.

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Cabin air enters thru the vent in front of the windshield, the gap at the rear of the hood is pretty small, I wouldn't think much fiberglass would come thru there
more likely some critter made a nest in the heater box, ya now poop and other stuff

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cabin air enters thru the vent in front of the windshield, the gap at the rear of the hood is pretty small, I wouldn't think much fiberglass would come thru there
more likely some critter made a nest in the heater box, ya now poop and other stuff
Maybe that might be causing current issues? A/C refrigerant is full, yet it blows warm air. It is cooler than outside air but still warm.

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Is the return line to the compressor cold?

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Well, the high pressure line from the compressor is hot,
and the line leading to the orifice tube from the condenser, is a little above ambient
then after the orifice tube it gets cold from the pressure change
Following that the gas heads into the evaporator, then returns to the compressor
Is the line heading back to the compressor cold?
that would be the larger of the lines

No, you wont find much on the net about AC stuff
but if you look near the heater box where the AC lines enter, it is pretty easy to figure out the lines I am talking about
follow the path, it will help you understand how the system works

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, the high pressure line from the compressor is hot,
and the line leading to the orifice tube from the condenser, is a little above ambient
then after the orifice tube it gets cold from the pressure change
Following that the gas heads into the evaporator, then returns to the compressor
Is the line heading back to the compressor cold?
that would be the larger of the lines

No, you wont find much on the net about AC stuff
but if you look near the heater box where the AC lines enter, it is pretty easy to figure out the lines I am talking about
follow the path, it will help you understand how the system works
I had my truck running while looking at the A/C system, it started blowing cold air. I think it’s because when I recharged it, I just had the A/C on high instead of “MAX A/C.”

I guess I learned from my mistake this time. I do appreciate your commitment to help me. I did find I was loosing air on a seal or something on the cylinder thing that the low pressure port is attached too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just fYI. l Proactively use a combination of D Con and pocket gopher poison to eliminate the problem. In my '04 there is a space in front of the battery on the drivers side large enough for a good sized plastic bottle or spray paint cap. I put the mix in there, it doesn't spill or vibrate out even with some rough of road use. Change it out every other year. I live rurally with plenty of chewing vermin around. I have never had a problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I keep getting bird nest under my hood,al most lost my truck to fire

1 - 20 of 21 Posts