Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been seriously thinking about making my own biodiesel lately. I have been looking at the megaester 40 gallon system from evolutionbiodieselkits.com.

I did okay in chemistry in high school, but that was with supervision. :hehe: AND I have access to a supply of about 30 gal/wk of WVO. It is actually about the same amount of fuel I burn a week.

I seriously don't want to mess up my truck (...or ME for that matter...) if I somehow screw this up.:doh:

So- is this something I should attempt, or is it best left to people with experience? I am kinda excited about doing the process, but it IS a big investment.

What do y'all think??

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Is it hard, no. but it takes time to get right and work out the bugs in your method. best thing to do is start reading, then read again then read again!

start at this site Getting Started - Collaborative Biodiesel Tutorial

its easy to make and your truck will like it but if you screw up someting and dont follow all the steps you can get soap in your Biod and yea that will jack up your injectors.

I am going to start making biod in the next couple weeks and I am getting pretty excited about it. yea it will save me money but it also is another thing for me to build and learn about. that is most of the fun for me. my chick is starting to get mad at me cause i am talking about it so much!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have recenly built a Bio processor and am learning valuable lessons as I progress. The first lesson that I have learned is that the quality of the WVO that you start with is critical. I was getting a plentiful supply of oil free of charge - it was crap - it was full of debris that took forever to filter out and had a high water content.
I decided to look for a better source of oil and I now pay for it. I offer 10% of the current price of diesel, [currently I pay 17 cents per litre - we are paying $1.70 to $1.80 per litre for Diesel - Yes, that's about $7.00 per US gallon]. Before I do a deal I request a sample of the oil, if it is good I set the supplier up with a 200 litre drum with a locking lid. I have two suppliers currently, one is a Steak restaurant that only cooks fries and potato wedges and changes oil twice weekly - the oil is like new with a very low FFA. My other supplier is a top class fish restaurant, they change oil every 2-3 days, FFA is higher but it is very clean, their deep friers have filters.
I now have more WVO than I need, and sell what I don't use.
The cost of the oil is more than offset by the time I save treating bad oil.

·
Registered
19 Posts
All the above is true. The key thing is filtering and de-watering the wvo first then like the previous post, betting the glycerin (soap) out. Washing can be time consuming, bepending on your rig. Other chemicals take the place of washing (magnesol) but it costs more, but less time. What do you have more off?

I sent you a private message. Hope thismhelps.
Bob

·
Registered
19 Posts
Lawman 349:
Look at the step by step process that the Central Oklahoma University Mechanic's group
Biodiesel plant and their process.

OkieBiofuel-Our Reactors.
Look at reactors and the written process sections. This can help you make the decision.

Bob

·
Premium Member
9,392 Posts
in my opinion it can be done correctly and some guys have good luck with it , just a for your information, i have had 3 trucks in my shop in 6 months with guys trying to run their own blend of bio, one needed a motor because the entire engine , injectors , rings , everything were gummed up and locked it up, the other two i had to remove the fuel tanks and remove all the crap they didnt filter correctly out of the tank and like said before the inside of the tanks looked like they were full of wax , and one got 2 injectors and the other got 3 , so my point is , do it right or dont do it , the fuel savings is good but if not done correctly will just cost more than its worth .

i dont know what it costs to get started , im curious myself if the initial cost and hassle is worth the hassle , sure is easy to pull up to the pump and know you can pull off without any problems

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Not hard......read...read....and read more.

I have about $700 in my entire bio setup up...using all new parts...including my dry washin towers, and resin.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the responses, y'all. I am going to check out the sites you provided and, as advised - read, read, read.

My lawn "tractor" blew up last night, so now it looks like the biodiesel project is now on hold for a month or two. ..At least until I can get a new mower in service.

G-dammit, it's always SOMETHING!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Thanks for all the responses, y'all. I am going to check out the sites you provided and, as advised - read, read, read.

My lawn "tractor" blew up last night, so now it looks like the biodiesel project is now on hold for a month or two. ..At least until I can get a new mower in service.

G-dammit, it's always SOMETHING!
I know what you mean. Our tractor blew the rear end out of it and took just about everything along with it related to the drive train. The only thing that is good it the motor and the front end that we just finished rebuilding! So now I got a 20hp brigs gas engine to figure something out to do with. I tried to convince them to get a diesel next but could not convince them that it was worth it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts