Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok.. so I am sittting on the ropes on this one. Been a lurker for the last 6 months gathering background on the do and dont's of a 6.0

I have a 2004 f250 with 90k in miles. Lately the truck has lost power when towing 12k fith wheel. I think it may be overheating during that time.

Today .. I ordered the Insight SCT based on the opinions on the board.

I am considering the Restore and Restore+ flush. Just reading up lalety and I am concerned about the potential blockage of the oil cooler.

Also looking at the IPR coolant filter...when I do the flush.

Is the potenial high..that I will clog up the cooler ?...

What if I do the back-flush ..prior to doing the restore flush.

I have the doc written by Karl Lyon...It has some great information about the cooler.

I also have BDP ERG upgrade..completed about 1 year ago. I know about the external oil cooler option, just trying to get some life from the exsisting cooler.

OPTION..B is a trip to the dealer...for a 2012 model.

what do you guys think....

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
The potential is high, get a coolant filter, get the monitor, check deltas. There are tons of recent threads on this exact subject.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Need to check the you temps first. There is potential for blockage with the flush so depending on how high your deltas are would be the factor on whether I would do it or not

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
So is the delta between the temps a good judge of how plugged a cooler could be..?
Yes, the difference between the ect and eot. 15° is the point at which the cooler is considered clogged.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks !

Insight CTS arrives today. I will run it over the weekend to get a scope and where they are and post.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Thanks !

Insight CTS arrives today. I will run it over the weekend to get a scope and where they are and post.
Good deal. Look up the proper procedure for the test, it's simple.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK.. Spent the week playing with the Insight CTS..Awesome tool ! I would recommend after 7 days of playing with it.
I see 25 degree delta between oil and coolant. Looks like I need to prep for a cooler change out.
Next step is the
1.Coolant filter
2.Flush
3.New cooler.

I looked at the IPR and BPD products.. not sure if I can stretch my budget for that. As far as cooler replacement IPR does make a upgraded 30% more flow cooler. They currently show nout of stock. I have been reading good and bad. Has anyone see real data..? temps while towing ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts