Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 14 model and the 2.5" to 2" reducer is a PITA. Every time I used it with my drawbar I have to line the sleeve up AND the drawbar. This is especially difficult on a 30 lb. WD hitch.

Has anyone found a sleeve that maybe has a flange on the outer edge so it slides in the correct distance to line up with the pin hole?

Any suggestions?

I am actually considering getting one and welding a flange on it if nothing else.

Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I was going to suggest welding a tab or welding it into place if you don’t think you will need a bigger size, but the ta still makes it removeable I would go that route

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I was going to suggest buying a 2.5" shank and ditching the sleeve.
If you really want to keep the sleeve (which reduces the allowable GTW rating) then you would probably have to make one. They are simply 2" ID square stock. Nothing special. Just weld a piece of scrap bar stock to the end of it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
When we went from our 97 F-350 to a 2016 F-350 we found that hitch receiver problem as well. Whoever owned the truck before us must have liked the sleeve because it was not in the truck when we bought it. They have cheapo sleeves at Wally World, but getting both the sleeve AND the hitch to line up is definitely a PITA! So off to Ford for the "official" Ford sleeve. Wow, they are proud of their sleeves - but they fit like gloves - almost like they are made to work - :haha:. It has a flange on the end which keeps the sleeve from going too far. Perfect. Then, to reduce the remaining hassle, we bought a new 2½" hitch and swapped the parts off the old hitch (which I gave to the guy who bought our old truck). I use the sleeve for hooking up a utility trailer with a different hitch.

The hitch was STILL hard to slide in and out so I ended up filing all the edges of the hitch, then grinding the edges with a Dremmel, and spraying with RV slide lube. Whew. Finally it all works relatively easily.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When we went from our 97 F-350 to a 2016 F-350 we found that hitch receiver problem as well. Whoever owned the truck before us must have liked the sleeve because it was not in the truck when we bought it. They have cheapo sleeves at Wally World, but getting both the sleeve AND the hitch to line up is definitely a PITA! So off to Ford for the "official" Ford sleeve. Wow, they are proud of their sleeves - but they fit like gloves - almost like they are made to work - :haha:. It has a flange on the end which keeps the sleeve from going too far. Perfect. Then, to reduce the remaining hassle, we bought a new 2½" hitch and swapped the parts off the old hitch (which I gave to the guy who bought our old truck). I use the sleeve for hooking up a utility trailer with a different hitch.

The hitch was STILL hard to slide in and out so I ended up filing all the edges of the hitch, then grinding the edges with a Dremmel, and spraying with RV slide lube. Whew. Finally it all works relatively easily.
I have the Ford sleeve that came with my truck and it does NOT have a flange. You are saying you bought a sleeve from the parts department and it has a flange? Any part number by chance? Any other info is appreciated.

As someone stated, going to a 2.5" drawbar is THE best solution, but that means 2 drop lengths + a WD drawbar which I would think is going to be $100 or more.

Thanks for any help, Tom

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
As someone stated, going to a 2.5" drawbar is THE best solution, but that means 2 drop lengths + a WD drawbar which I would think is going to be $100 or more.

Thanks for any help, Tom
The best option is an adjustable 2.5" hitch like a 180 and be done. 3 different ball sizes and adjusts for any trailer I have ever had. Sure, it was expensive but it is the last one I will need.
Not sure if you know, but using a WDH with the sleeve de-rates the factory hitch. I want to say down to like 10k pounds. Not sure exactly on the number though.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have the Ford sleeve that came with my truck and it does NOT have a flange. You are saying you bought a sleeve from the parts department and it has a flange? Any part number by chance? Any other info is appreciated.
Here are two pics of the sleeve I got from my local Ford dealer. I think it was $75 with all the tax. Spendy, I know, but I wanted the "official" sleeve that I wouldn't have to fight with to line up the holes (like the cheapo one from Wally World).

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
Can't say I have an issue installing my sleeve with my equal-i-zer hitch head. Installed it at least 40-50 times pulling trailers. Not sure if it's the exception or not. The Ford sleeve looks nice, but no reason for me to buy.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are two pics of the sleeve I got from my local Ford dealer. I think it was $75 with all the tax. Spendy, I know, but I wanted the "official" sleeve that I wouldn't have to fight with to line up the holes (like the cheapo one from Wally World).

Hope this helps.
Perfect!!!

I went down to the local dealer and gave them Part #HC3Z-19H282-A and they walked out with a 2.5" to 2" reducer with a flange. Went out to the truck and it fit perfectly. Below are a few pics of the sleeve that came with the truck (no flange) vs. the unit with the flange. I believe the style my truck came with was for 2011-2016. The flange design is 2017+ from what the parts counter guy said. Now when I put that heavy WD drawbar in the sleeve it won't slide all the way in and I have to hassle with lining up the pin hole. Cost was $30 out the door.

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
Perfect!!!

I went down to the local dealer and gave them Part #HC3Z-19H282-A and they walked out with a 2.5" to 2" reducer with a flange. Went out to the truck and it fit perfectly.
Wow! Much more reasonably priced than my dealer. And, my guy had to order it. Didn't have one just sitting there waiting for me.

Buy yeah, just "slide and ride". Works as advertised. Happy towing!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts