Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i just changed out my up-pipe and ypipe because they both had cracked expansion joints. I put it all back together and have this hissing that I cannot pinpoint where it is coming from. It hisses at idle, and when i am building boost it gets louder but the pitch does not change. It sounds nothing like the high pitch whine i had with the cracked y-pipe. Also, there is soot all over the valley and on everything up top on the engine, above both heads. I have examined the y-pipe and up-pipe expansion joints, no soot at all. I have taken the turbo back out and reseated it just to ensure both the v clamps were flush, intercooler pipe is tight, everything. I cannot figure out where this leak is coming from. I had my buddy brake torque it while i looked and all i can see is soot coming up from around the turbo, cant pinpoint where from. Any Ideas??????

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Well that should be pretty easy to find ,cause there isnt nothing else there ! Look at all youre inlets and outlets and or the turbo housing! Also thats a sweet ride!!Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Did you make sure to put the donut gasket on the EGR cooler?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Mine was making exactly the same noise and had a bad exhaust smell. A mechanic fixed it for $100, he said it was the turbo intake not installed properly. I am having exactly the same problem again so I would like to know in detail a little more so I can fix it myself.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Try checking the underside or the intercooler boot off the turbo they tend to crack underneath where u cant see i had the same problem and would guess this might be urs also

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i took the turbo back out again trying to figure this out. the inlets and outlets are all good, i have made sure of this. I deleted my egr so its not a donut gasket there, and I have checked the weld also...not the culprit. I am beginning to believe its the housing itself, possibly that clamp around the housing. Also, i just noticed that when I unplug the canon plug on the top of the turbo, the hissing stops. Does anyone know what that plug does? That would help me trouble shoot where the hissing is coming from if I know what is disabled when it is unplugged. Thanks alot for your input guys

·
Registered
673 Posts
The plug is for the VGT solenoid I believe. IS it a 2-wire plug with a metal retainer? The VGT solenoid works your unison ring which moves you turbo vanes.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I'm going to say the y-pipe isn't seated at the turbo correctly. I loosen or leave loose the y-pipe at both manifolds and tighten the clamp on the back of the turbo first. I have seen the turbo halves leak, but if you didn't have it apart that's probably not it. Did you put the metal gaskets back in the y-pipe and up-pipes?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts