Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '11 F250 has been having tranny issues. About 2 weeks ago, my MiniMax defuels and says trans temp is at 220. Take into dealership and they replace Trans Fluid Temp Sensor. 3 Days later it does it again, but up to 230. It has been at the dealership for a week now. They have been checking it up and down, so they say. Can't duplicate temp. I drive 500-1000 per week for work with no load. The last thing they were going to check was for "slip"??. They have been trouble shooting through the engineers at ford, trying to narrow down the problem. Service Manager told me earlier that if it was not a slip issue then they think it is just the outside temp driving up the tranny temp. Live in San Antonio, Texas, and yes it is hot, but not even August yet and I have owned it since 2011, with no problems any of the previous summers.
Any input on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Had the same issue. Turned out to be a pinhole in the intercooler. The same system that feeds that also feeds the trans cooler. Check the coolant level on the passenger side cap, if low you might try to add some coolant to it. If your temps decrease, then you are probably loosing coolant through that system. $400 new air-to-water cooler and you are good to go...at least I was...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: BlueH2o

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I checked the fluid level and it was low. Temp got up to 212 on way to dealership. Took almost a gallon. Drove around for 30 min stop and go and temp never got over 195. There is a leak and will have it looked at first thing Monday morning. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone put an auxillary transmission cooler on a 6.7L? I put one on my old 7.3L and it dropped temperature 25 degrees F. Thanks....Ghyslain

·
Registered
388 Posts
Although I have the 6.2, our tranny's are the same.
Pulling my 10,000 lb. fifth wheel, I've never seen higher than 206f.
Something is not right.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the same issue. Turned out to be a pinhole in the intercooler. The same system that feeds that also feeds the trans cooler. Check the coolant level on the passenger side cap, if low you might try to add some coolant to it. If your temps decrease, then you are probably loosing coolant through that system. $400 new air-to-water cooler and you are good to go...at least I was...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Hey did your truck smoke? White smoke out of the Exhaust when you had this problem?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts