Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Cunning Linguist
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So lately it's been cold here, between 10 and 30 degrees ambient. I thought trans temps should average around 100 degrees over ambient, right? I've been noticing lately higher than normal temps when it's cold outside. Today it was between 10 and 20 degrees on my commute - mostly highway speeds - and my trans temp was showing 150-170. I just had both filters changed w/ OEM filters and the fluid replaced. This is normal, not aggressive driving. What's strange though is that when it's warmer outside, the temp seems to stay within "normal" range. :dunno:

Any input is appreciated.

·
Cunning Linguist
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, that's good to know. I installed my edge monitor at the same time as the filter change, so I don't know for sure if it was doing it before or not. I'll keep an eye on it, but I remember in my old truck the trans temps would be lower in colder temps.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
my trans is always between 151 and 158 unloaded. Doesn't matter if its 0*F or 90*F. thats normal operating temp for me. It's usually between 160-170 while towing, i've never seen my tranny get above 178*.

·
Registered
223 Posts
just installed my gauges and Ive been getting between 150 and 180. i think my sender might be messed up though because i tightened the wrong hex head on the fitting and spun the sender inside the housing

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
The 4r100 does not have the thermal bypass. The 5r110w and the 5r55e in the explorer has the thermal bypass. The bypass tube on the side of the 4r100 is a pressure bypass, not a thermal bypass.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
mine runs around 150-155 normally. doesnt matter if its cold or not. cruising on the hwy its close to 100 over ambient, or maybe a few deg. over.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts