Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have lots of questions That may seem stupid and obvious haha but bare with me. To start I have a 2005 f250 super duty with the 6 liter turbo diesel in it. It was recently overhauled as far as the top end goes with ucf port and polished heads, highly rev springs, studs and gaskets. It had a the bulletproof egr cooler from bulletproof as well as the oem replacement oil cooler that came with the kit. Even a coolant filter and new radiator. How ever my normal driving temps seem to be 205 ect and 209 oil temp. Granted I do have a leg foot that seems to be relatively high got my comfort. That’s empty load and air temp out side is about 96-105 F. . Now when towing that’s what scared me. The truck seems to get very hot on... highway pulling I sit around 212-215 and on slight hills or some bigger grades I see 235 oil temp 228 coolant. I tend to let off around there as I know oil will break down not much longer from that point. Is there any way to surely know what is causing this. I know the fans kick on at 212 without fail as it is very loud. Truck runs fine. Other than that Thankyou in advance

·
Registered
178 Posts
Pulling what??? Running a tune?cat and OEM exhaust? I don’t understand why people think these are high temps. Z06 low fan comes on around 225 high at 230.f that’s sitting at idle doing nothing. Your temp are nothing to worry about.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
8,774 Posts
One reason is because Ford states that the engine will defuel at 221 *F ECT ..............

PC/ED manual - page 1-34

·
Registered
178 Posts
I would run 250’F oil temps all day without thinking twice. Towing my 5th wheel up grades that aren’t marked I sometimes hit 250-255 oil temp but it’s under 3 min total run time. These are the mountains that you have nightmares about where the truck stops moving forward and you start rolling backwards out of control and die.
So the engine de-fuels, I never felt it. Let the ECU do what it want.

·
8,774 Posts
There are many other reasons to not run that hot. Folks will do what they want though. That is why the 6.0L has its reputation.

The key point was the engine was programmed to defuel for a reason ...... If you have no desire to know that reason then that is certainly fine for you. Some people want long term reliability and running that hot will not give that to you. At a minimum, the high pressure oil system seals (including injectors) will not hold up to those temperatures. Also, the oil thins out significantly at the elevated temperatures (which will have mechanical implications as well as increasing the leak potential). BTW - the oil temp that you see is FAR from the hottest point in your engine.

Fact is, it is essentially the coolest.

·
Registered
178 Posts
So at what EOT does the ECU turn on the fan?

·
Registered
178 Posts
  • For the ECT, derate will occur when temperature exceeds 235°F.
  • For the EOT, derate will occur when temperature exceeds 260°F.

·
8,774 Posts
Look up the PC/ED manual I referenced. As listed above, page 1-34. Looking at it right now. ECT - 221; EOT - 253.

Issues from elevated oil temps will not be immediate. I don't think Ford worried about reduced life of the soft goods in the High Pressure oil system. Look at their track record, lol. I think they missed the boat on that parameter.

The fan operation is based on multiple parameters, not just a single one.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I understand the oil temp is post oil cooler and best case scenario. I also was thinking less about the longevity of all the little seals in the HPOP system and was thinking more about the life of the oil. Back to the OP we need more info.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pulling what??? Running a tune?cat and OEM exhaust? I don’t understand why people think these are Pulling a measly 5,000 pounds if that. And I usually run performance or extreme on my edge evolution 2 but when I tow I go to the tow tune or stock.
Pulling what??? Running a tune?cat and OEM exhaust? I don’t understand why people think these are high temps. Z06 low fan comes on around 225 high at 230.f that’s sitting at idle doing nothing. Your temp are nothing to worry about.
Pulling a measly 5,000 pounds if that. And I usually run performance or extreme on my edge evolution 2 but when I tow I go to the tow tune or stock. No cat and 4 inch straight pipe

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hard to beat the OEM radiator. Maybe start looking at the thickness of your rad, fin design, how many tubes, think factory is around 96 tubes but I could be wrong.

Reactions: bismic

·
8,774 Posts
+1 for the above. I am not sure about the 96 either, but the OEM cools better than the parts store radiators.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hmm and have you tried replacing the thermostat? That’s a relatively cheap and easy thing to try if not.

Another thought, while more of a bandaid solution would be to do the blue wire fan switch mod, and hopefully start pulling heat before the grade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmm and have you tried replacing the thermostat? That’s a relatively cheap and easy thing to try if not.

Another thought, while more of a bandaid solution would be to do the blue wire fan switch mod, and hopefully start pulling heat before the grade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i was thinking of replacing that to maybe a 170 degree thermostat..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts