Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 96 psd, E-350 van, leaked oil like crazy, pulled the trans, replaced the rear main seal and the front pump seal on the at, stopped 95% of the leak. Looking further found I had a fuel leak at the water in fuel sensor, fixed that.
After drying the valley and observing, the leak is coming from the front of the engine, in front of the fuel filter tower. Since the high pressure pump is up there I'm guessing that's where it's coming from, trying to see anything up there in this van body is like trying to find one person in the stands at the Super Bowl. Incredible.
Since trying to pull that area apart from the hood area is almost impossible in this van body, I'm going to pull the fuel filter tower and try to access the area from the back. This vehicle has 150K miles on it so I'm wondering if I shouldn't replace the high pressure pump and the IPR since I'm probably going to have to remove them both to fix the leak. The other problem I have with this vehicle is if the air temp is below about 40 degrees F, it will not start unless I use some starting fluid on it, which is not cool. I'm wondering if the high pressure pump is not building the 2700 psi necessary to operate the injectors at that temp. Does anybody know, if I hook up a scanner to the vehicle when it's cold and crank it, will the scanner tell me what the pressure is from the hp pump? If that were the case wouldn't it trigger a warning light when it wouldn't start? I was a mechanic for many years but am not real familiar with diesels. Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
781 Posts
cold starting thing could be your glow pugs. and You could go to the local ford dealer and get a set of orings to fix the oil leak from the hpop. most times this works. But the truck will have a hard time starting no mater how good the system is working in 40s but i should start.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cold starting thing could be your glow pugs. and You could go to the local ford dealer and get a set of orings to fix the oil leak from the hpop. most times this works. But the truck will have a hard time starting no mater how good the system is working in 40s but i should start.
Thanks GS, yes I replaced the glow plugs several months ago. It helped it some but below 40 it doesn't fire at all. I used starting fluid on it once just to see if it would fire and holy crap did it ever. Won't do that again. Getting to the HPOP is so hard on this van body I think I'm going to spend the $ and just replace it and the IPR just to be done with it. Found one on line at Pensacola Diesel for $395 for the pump. That less than half what the stealership wants for a new one. It may not be as good as a new one but I bet it's way better than a used one with 165K on it. I'll get it apart and go from there. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Should start in the 40's no problem, where I live these things will start on their own down to -30 (c) if glowplugs, relay batteries and oil pressure is up to snuff, below that they need to be plugged in.

If you want to see a good link on fixing hpop o rings click here

hope this helps!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Should start in the 40's no problem, where I live these things will start on their own down to -30 (c) if glowplugs, relay batteries and oil pressure is up to snuff, below that they need to be plugged in.

If you want to see a good link on fixing hpop o rings click here

hope this helps!
Thanks Glenstr, I replaced the hpop and the IPR valve for good measure. Took it to the mountains, it got down to maybe 50, started fine, we'll see when it gets cold this winter.

Fighting some overheating on mountain grades pulling a trailer, just put a new factory fan clutch on it and discovered that even after the stat opens up the upper radiator tank is almost completely empty, that ain't right. Going to install an add on fill neck in the top hose and see if that helps with the overheating.

Anyway, thanks for the input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts