Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found out I have a couple bad orings in my high pressure oil line from the pump to the heads. My question is do I need to buy the lines or can I just put new orings in ? I could not find an oring kit from Ford.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
If I am not mistaken you are referring to the branch tube assembly.

I bought the new kit when I yanked my engine out because of the joint in the tubing not being serviceable.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will be along to help you

Joe

·
Mr. Crossthread
4,375 Posts
They are most likely talking about stand pipe o rings, but you need to get clarification. To do stand pipes you buy the pipes themselves, also swap the dummy plugs while you are in there. Motorcraft/Ford parts only.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I’ll get the stand piped. What about the branch tubes ? Buy the passenger and driver side or change the orings? Thanks for the help !

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
The branch tube requires way more work than doing the standpipes.

Sorry for the confusion but I thought you were doing the work yourself and assumed you were into the HPOP having a leak.

IMO don't bother with replacing the o-rings alone. It is possible and cheaper but if one failed, the other side is sure to follow. Do both sides complete with OEM parts and do both standpipes and both dummy plugs (one each per side)

Good Luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Motor is torn down for heads anyway so I’ll look into just getting Ford branch tubes, stand pipe etc.

·
Mr. Crossthread
4,375 Posts
Branch tube requires engine or trans removal. You have to pull it out from the back, which cannot be done while connected to the trans. If you pull the engine to do the branch tube, might as well do lifters as well since that is also an engine out job because of the branch tube.

·
Mr. Crossthread
4,375 Posts
Since the heads are off this is the perfect time to do it all. Truck is already down and torn apart.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just left the shop doing the work. Parts are all ordered. Complete oring kit for the hpop and lines, new stand pipes, new icp, new ipr, all new filters and new fan shroud because previous owner hacked old one to death removing it. Also new glow plug harness and complete set of glow plugs. New ficm harness as mine had the clips broken.
One head installed the other will go on tomorrow. Work is going pretty well. Parts are being cleaned and painted before they go back on.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Hey man not trying to be a d*ck....but wtf is up with them painting the heads while they are on the block?!?!

That is some sloppy a$$ work if I have ever seen sloppy work.

Good Luck with the repair, because if that is their finish work, I'd hate to see their bad work.

Joe

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now that I look closer at the pic I do see some over spray. That’s surprising because the rest of his stuff looks great. The other was all painted on the bench when I left the shop.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Maybe it was touch but all over the valve cover sealing surface, dipstick, heat shield.....sorry dude not trying to nit pick but I don't do work like that so I pick up on sloppy mechanics quick.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your right that does seem sloppy. I’ll make sure to ask him what happened there.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Cool buddy....good luck

It's apparent it got studs, so I am sure you're getting the work done legitimately but not everyone is a "finish" mechanic with attention to detail.

The biggest reason NO ONE will ever work on my truck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts