Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning 6.0 PSD nut jobs :grin:

Two days ago, wail waiting for my wife at a WALMART! …idling, my truck started making a high pitched squeal/whistle. If I applied a bit of power - it would go away. ...but over the next 5mins...the longer I idled, the more power it would take to make the squeal stop (never more than 10% power max). I have a SCT 5015P tuner and Torque Pro and had no odd indications. After 5mins, I turned the truck off...continued to wait on my wife (another 30mins). On startup the same sounds and on the wait home....the same sounds at idle or near idle.

The next morning I started the truck and all was good - no odd sounds (I'm smart enough to know "nothing just goes away"). I drove around a bit, and still no odd sounds. ...but after about 30mins...and at a stop light; the high pitched squeal/whistle was back - so I called my friends @ Power Stroke specialty and I've setup an appointment to have the truck looked at this coming Wednesday.

But for fun...and until it's fixed. What is it?

History of truck:
The truck has 215k miles.
- I had the truck dealer proofed 30k miles ago (about 6 months ago).
- At the time of the Dealer Proofing, a new turbo was installed – really “new everything”: belts, pulleys, pumps...all that.
- I drive the truck around 5,000 miles a month (Western NC to Washington DC every week...DC smokes a lot of pot – someone needs to do the runs (…just joking about the "pot" part" – 100% joking!!!) - but I swear the local cops in my Western NC town think I'm running pot, drugs or something (‘why run a "big" truck with a cap on the bed back & forth to DC once every week?...I can just here the cops asking that question. No joke – they are driving by my house in Western NC…like daily now. To the point my wife wants to make a call to them :)) (if they only knew I worked for the US Postal Inspection Service in DC…I 100% do not break any laws (maybe a few: I do speed).
- I do all the maintenance and I NEVER miss a maintenance step.
- It’s not a belt, pulleys, or a coolant cap (I can/do light-levels of work on my cars).
- It’s sounds like the turbo. But why? Its 100 new…with just 30k miles on it.

Maybe a Y-pipe issue is my guess. (I've read all the threads on issues like this...which does point to a Y-Pipe issue)

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
I believe you are correct in the y-pipe. Mine made a high pitch screech at idle and just above but would go away fairly quick. I would look at MBRP or other quality brand as replacement instead of Ford. I'm sure some folks will chime in on brand. Good luck to you!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
I second...uh, third..the y-pipe thought. Especially if you are running a stock y-pipe with a delete. Same symptoms my 06 gave me when mine decided to go. I liked the 3-piece bd-diesel kit myself, but everybody has their preference depending on setup and price range.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
I agree its probably a leak in the pipe, but you still ought to find it before ordering. It could also be the up pipe. Because its at idle or not moving, I doubt its a boost leak.

I recommend eyeballing and using a snake camera or mirrors to try to find this leak. It may have a soot black stain by it. Pay attention to the Y pipe, the up-pipe, and exhaust gas manifolds. There's a good chance your exhaust manifold is leaking evidenced by black marks around where it mates to the head. These trucks left the factory without a gasket, and there's aftermarket ones to put in to replace. May or may not contribute to the whistle you hear.

When I installed my gasket, I found an additional exhaust leak where it mates to the Y-Pipe on the drivers side. It was loose; one bolt was not tight.

If you do replace, I recommend OEM. I did not have good luck with aftermarket Y-Pipe and Up-Pipe. They did not fit well as the OEM. The up-pipe I used a crowbar to get it in place. Not a good start and it did leak once assembled.

To find my three exhaust leaks, I taped a shop vac tot he tailpipe and blew air. I felt, listened, and used leak detector bubbling fluid to find it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for your input. Long week in DC...so I did not make it to Atlanta/Power Stroke Specialty this week. But...
...like said above "...but everybody has their preference depending on setup and price range" - I've ordered a complete system. All new Ford parts, from the manifolds, up-pipe, y-pipe, all three clamps (EGR clamp also...even with it welded shut), gaskets, bolts, nuts. From the engine to the turbo - all new Ford parts (I just need this truck to work). I also ordered the turbo hardware kit 3C3Z-9T514-AG. All just under $1k. ...minus labor.

I watch my EGT temps closely, but I pull a boat and camper in the hot Carolina Summers, and I idle 2 or 3 hours per 5k mile oil change (once a month I drive 5K miles) - and so a full 4" exhaust system is next.

I 100% refuse to buy an EPA truck - I'll keep this coal-rolling truck until I can't find parts. "F" the EPA!!! (and I work for the government :))

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was the Y-pipe. No surprise to all I'm sure. :)
I also went ahead and replaced new/Ford parts. ...the up-pipe, all three clamps, bolts and nuts, turbo single-use parts, up-pipe/y-pipe gasket.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I thought my problem was fixed/fixed. New issue: With the new Y-Pipe and Up-Pipe installed, and only at interstate speeds, I have a new sound – and if you had never ridden in a 6.0 or did not know all the sounds your/a truck makes, a person may not even notice the sound. I'm now getting what sounds like compressed air blowing out a large metal pipe. It's very low and again...if you did not know the truck or know what's normal/not normal from a 6.0 you may just believe "man a 6.0 makes a funny low-level air blowing out a pipe sound”. The sound does not seem to be directly related to throttle position or turbo boost. ...more related to overall-engine RPM. Also; no way to hear the sound/issue beside the truck parked (the truck is just making to much "diesel noise/diesel music" when parked at high RMP").

Has anyone had this sound/issue before? I’m guessing the y-pipe is not sealed well with the turbo.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
This is the video I watched before I installed mine about seating the turbo:

Have not tried it, but you're supposed to be able to start the truck and then quickly get up and feel the air leaking. In the video it shows how tight the clamp should be to be closed. Y-Pipe Could also not be mated to the up pipe or exhaust manifold well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts