Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if your trucks do the same. Everytime I shut my truck off, for maybe 10 seconds there is a very high pitched sound. It isn't loud, I have to be outside of it with no other noises around to hear it. Im guessing its the fuel pumps or something, not really sure?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Can you tell where the sound is generally coming from? I know when I get out of my truck immediately after turning it off I hear what sounds similar to the door locks, but sounds slightly different. Is it possible that you're hearing the high and low side of the air conditioning equalizing?? You can eliminate it being the AC by turning off the AC and let the engine idle for about one minute. Then turn of the truck and see if you can hear it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's hard to say where it is coming from. I'll try it with the air conditioning off and see what happens.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the sound is still there with or without the air conditioning on. seems to be loudest at passenger front wheel well. I don't think it is the same as what you are describing. Mine does that too, but that is more of a clicking. This is just an even tone that is high pitched and last only a few seconds.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I've got the same sound on shutdown. Honestly don't think it's anything to worry about

·
Registered
147 Posts
Mine does something very similar, I have always assumed it is just the turbo winding down or the fuel pump.
I park in a garage so I hear it almost everytime

·
Registered
130 Posts
I noticed the noise on mine as well. It's a high enough frequency some people might not even hear it. I also think it may be fuel system related. I'm not worried about it though.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I think it might be the DEF pump. Maybe it removes the fluid from the line so it doesn't freeze?

My 2010 didn't do this, but the 11 does, so I look for the systems that are not the same / similar.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've thought it's the Turbo. Mine really was loud after the reflash.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all your responses. Yea not really worried about, I was just wondering if I was the only one or not. Could be the turbo. I'm thinking it is fuel related also.

·
Smoke Eater
1,305 Posts
its def not the turbo spooling down... mine does it as well.. it is a super high frequency humm almost... its definately sumpin electrical stayin on for a few seconds after shutting the truck down.... i hear it every time and im not at all worried about it... im sure its suppsed to do that :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts