Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently started to notice a high pitched squealing noise when I let off the gas after accelerating real hard. It's typically when I have gotten the RPM around 2.5G or greater. Today, however, it did it to me after I gave it a decent amount of pedal every time it shifted. The RPMs remained higher for every shift. I can't quite pinpoint where at it is coming from, but it sounds like possibly right in front of the middle seat (somewhere under the hood). My guess would be my turbo doing something wierd, but not real sure. Does anyone have any suggestions or have you had this happen?

I drive a 6.0L and the only other recent problem I've had is having to put 2 new alteraters in my truck in the last 8 months and replacing he batteries after the first replacement. It has ran fine since then and I dont' believe it to be related, but my system charge light (the battery looking light) has popped on for a brief second and went right back off a couple of times. :dunno:

·
Registered
381 Posts
my 6.0 was making a whistle sound when i let of the skinny peddle sometimes too . i went to ford and got a new degas cap and all is well . i have also heard that sometimes it is something else like a crack in degas bottle itself , pin hole in lines and as much as i hate saying it to someone ...headgaskets . The cap was 12 bucks and the best place to start and it worked for me and i hope that is your problem too .

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...and as much as i hate saying it to someone ...headgaskets . ...
Oo man don't cuss at me like that! lol Thanks for the input though it's really been bugging me! I guess I will start off small and see what happens and just hope for the best.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Check your flex joint on your passenger side up-pipe (from manifold to turbo). That side is known to crack and when they do it will produce a high pitched squeel. It may be as simple as that??? If it's leaking you should see some black soot around the crack. Get a good light and look it over really good.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
381 Posts
there is another guy on the forum who posted a video of his truck making the noise , it was just like the noise my truck made and the degas cap fixed mine . his user name is coffin2980 . i didnt know how to attach his video , sorry , i hope this helps .

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there is another guy on the forum who posted a video of his truck making the noise , it was just like the noise my truck made and the degas cap fixed mine . his user name is coffin2980 . i didnt know how to attach his video , sorry , i hope this helps .
His seems to last a lot longer than mine does.. mine is a very brief squeak. I did read through the thread and I guess I will start small and hope for the best.. if nothing else I guess I know where my tax return is going to be going... :doh:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts