Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my Excursion with a 6.0 reaches 218 degrees I get a high pitch whistle. This only happens when towing our 10,000# travel trailer and going up a hill. So high load. Engine is new, turbo is newer, it did it with old engine and 3 different turbo. The cooling fan also is on. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,742 Posts
Charge air cooler tank gasket blown out -- one of the turbo boots split -- plastic charge air tube split in the bellows -- exhaust gasket leak -- up pipe bellows split

Take your pick -- these are some of the things that could make that noise

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will have to check these out. Turbo boots have been replaced a couple of times and does not make a difference. Thanks!!

·
Administrator
21,478 Posts

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
When my Excursion with a 6.0 reaches 218 degrees I get a high pitch whistle. This only happens when towing our 10,000# travel trailer and going up a hill. So high load. Engine is new, turbo is newer, it did it with old engine and 3 different turbo. The cooling fan also is on. Anyone have any ideas?
I have had a failing fan clutch make a high pitch squeal when under full lock up.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
This whistle was caused by a slick fan pulley and a old serpentine belt:

Only appeared when towing up a hill at 11k. A couple others who had a squeal like this said scuffing the pulley fixed it. I wish the water pump was turned by the slotted v side of the belt verses just the slick side. Probably would never squeal.

This is what to do to fix the sound:

http://www.bulletproofdiesel.tv/Files/Documents/Fan Clutch Adapter Tech Tip.pdf

Took me about 4 hours to swap those parts, but I spent a lot more time and a lot more money than I needed to hunting down exhaust leaks and boost leaks that were not the issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts