Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after the SCTFlash install it didn't take long to suck the little air cleaner sensor shut. I was hunting around for a replacement high performance filter. I am not putting an aftermarket air intake on this truck. $300.00 for an air intake is ridiculous especially when they draw hot air from in the engine compartment. No thanks.

As of now, K&N or Fram don't make a high flow air filter yet. I found a company called Greenfilter USA. I talked with Deric and told him my dilemma. He said no problem, their filters outflow most any other high performance filter on the market. So I ordered their high performance filter that fits in the stock airbox on these trucks. Turns out these guys are private label makers for all of the Saleen and Ford Racing air filters.

This thing works nicely. Fits right in the stock air box and flows so much it doesn't even move the air cleaner sensor. Plus this thing is completely washable, reusable and comes with their own non petroleum based filter oil. (no harm on your sensors). I got mine for $105.00 including shipping.

Talk to Deric and he'll hook you up.
Green Filter USA
Phone: (724) 430-2050

·
Registered
800 Posts
The S&B draws from the left fender fresh air inlet.
Yeah, they are expensive, but it doesn't throw codes, and unlike K&N, it has a filter element that I trust.

·
I wanna go fast!
632 Posts
S&B also has a factory drop-in for those looking to keep the stock box.

·
I wanna go fast!
632 Posts
Not only that, but we actually stop the dirt too! Check out Green's test results on thetruthaboutfilters.com!

Thanks for all of the support guys, we really appreciate it!
Where can one buy the direct drop-in filter?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I looked at S&B's site. You guys didn't have a drop-in replacement listed on your website otherwise I would've investigated a bit further. If you have a direct drop-in, I suggest you update your website

:)

·
Registered
64 Posts
i ordered (through stylin-trucks) an s&b direct replacement filter and later had my order refunded because they were not available.

·
I wanna go fast!
632 Posts
I see that now the direct drop in, is no longer listed on thier webpage. A few weeks ago it was on there.......S&B whats the deal?:dunno:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have an AFE.....lifetime warrany....under $100.00. No sensor issues. Great fit.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
The filter was never made, it was in R&D when we first posted it on our site (but not released). Since then, we've found that the limiting factor isn't with the OE air filter, it's in the OE intake design. Due to this fact, S&B has no plans of producing a replacement drop-in filter for the 6.4L Powerstroke.

Could S&B build a filter that would have less restriction than the stock air filter? Yes. Would that reduction in restriction provide any gains? No.
The reason is because the item limiting power production is the OE intake system and not the air filter itself.

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
Well, after the SCTFlash install it didn't take long to suck the little air cleaner sensor shut. I was hunting around for a replacement high performance filter. I am not putting an aftermarket air intake on this truck. $300.00 for an air intake is ridiculous especially when they draw hot air from in the engine compartment. No thanks.

As of now, K&N or Fram don't make a high flow air filter yet. I found a company called Greenfilter USA. I talked with Deric and told him my dilemma. He said no problem, their filters outflow most any other high performance filter on the market. So I ordered their high performance filter that fits in the stock airbox on these trucks. Turns out these guys are private label makers for all of the Saleen and Ford Racing air filters.

This thing works nicely. Fits right in the stock air box and flows so much it doesn't even move the air cleaner sensor. Plus this thing is completely washable, reusable and comes with their own non petroleum based filter oil. (no harm on your sensors). I got mine for $105.00 including shipping.

Talk to Deric and he'll hook you up.
Green Filter USA
Phone: (724) 430-2050
My truck did the exact same thing and it scared the hell out of me......a high flow drop-in replacement isn't going to be enough airflow.....is the stock unit itself, it won't let enough air in..... sorry to say, but you need a aftermarket intake if you don't want problems :nod:

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
My truck did the exact same thing and it scared the hell out of me......a high flow drop-in replacement isn't going to be enough airflow.....is the stock unit itself, it won't let enough air in..... sorry to say, but you need a aftermarket intake if you don't want problems :nod:

Exactly! That was the point I was trying to make before. Selling you a drop-in replacement for this truck would be just like ripping you off. It doesn't matter how well it flows, it just isn't going to help because the bottle neck is the stock intake system and not the OE filter. If you want to see any gains in airflow on the 6.4L, you need to change out the entire intake system.

Thanks for helping to clear that up! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
What S&B said. Dont waste your time with a drop in replacement filter. If you want added performance you will need to ditch the factory box. S&B makes the best kit out there in my opinion. Price isnt bad either at a tick under $270 shipped.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have a s&b for sale on the parts forum it's brand new in the box i'll take $200.00 plus shipping
pm me if anyone has interest

Darrell

·
Registered
31 Posts
Air Filter Changes!

Hey Guys, just to let you know, I have been told by my local Ford dealer & had a friend who had a personal experience with changing the air filter! He had a warranty issue and Ford would not cover it because there was an aftermarket air filter on the truck. My local dealer also told me that there have been some issues with not covering warranties with the aftermarket air filters! I don't know this for a fact, but I would like to know for sure!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
haha, an aftermarket air filter would be the LEAST of my dealerships concerns if they were to get ahold of my truck now :p

·
Registered
179 Posts
read s&b's warranty disclaimer they say they'll stand behind you if there is any issues. And btw with all the other mods as gahanna 6.4 said they would $hit themselves when it went on the lift:hehe::hehe:.
plus with fuel at a premium some reps are starting to turn a other cheek. My dealer don't care if it comes in with all the mods on it, believe it or not he's pretty excited to see it when i'm done.:woot:

Darrell

1 - 20 of 29 Posts