Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am new to the 6.0 diesel world and had a couple of concerns. I just picked up a high mileage 05 f250 to tow my race trailer (7-8k pounds). Truck has 317k miles on it but is a very clean truck inside and out and underneath. It has the egr delete but still has the original head bolts. I am wondering if adding a programmer to it for towing would be a good thing or bad. Only going to use the truck 2-3 days a month. Im not looking for any power gains just something that will help out with towing and maybe get a little better mpg while not towing.

·
Registered
365 Posts
On the mileage front you aren't going to see any gains. If you do it will never pencil out on the cost of the tuner compared to the 0.1 MPG you might pick up.

Being on original head bolts most are going to recommend no tuner at all but again that is up to you. If you are going to go with a tuner the hands down best to do on the 6.0 is an SCT with custom tunes. Again not sure you will gain any mileage but it will feel like a different truck once you do this. Good luck man

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
So I am new to the 6.0 diesel world and had a couple of concerns. I just picked up a high mileage 05 f250 to tow my race trailer (7-8k pounds). Truck has 317k miles on it but is a very clean truck inside and out and underneath. It has the egr delete but still has the original head bolts. I am wondering if adding a programmer to it for towing would be a good thing or bad. Only going to use the truck 2-3 days a month. Im not looking for any power gains just something that will help out with towing and maybe get a little better mpg while not towing.

A bit off your tuner subject, but you may want to drive the truck more than a couple of times per month. These trucks seem to do best with frequent use, so maybe hop-in for a few runs to the Quik-Stop between your towing trips. Just a thought.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts