Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have a 01 F 350 7.3 power stroke, i bought off my dad with 394k miles and it is about to turn over 400k, he was quite anal about his fluid changes and maintenance and the truck runs like a top.
However all my friends keeps talking about all these mods, such as the BB fuel mod and the DIY cold air intake with a piece of tubing, however my old man keeps telling me, "don't fix something that is not broken" So my question is; is it safe to do any mods like these to try to increase performance and fuel mileage.
(I do have a superchip installed that has been the life of the engine.)
Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
get rid of the superchip cost you money in long run never heard of bb fuel mod but you def can do tymar intake with zoodad and be good to go more air will not harm the 7.3l, but if you are doing more id say do exhaust as well at least take the muffler off. More air in but less out hmmmm you see what im saying also it would be smart to invest in gauges with that tuner id be scared to have superchips on my truck

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
The BB fuel mod is for the 6.0. At least there are some people doing a bb mod on the 6.0. I don't know if there is something out there for the 7.3. The BB is used to increase fuel pressure, there is a new updated spring that does this also.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
I agree with your father. But at the same time, you can never go wrong with a better exhaust and better intake (well on a 7.3).

·
Real Men of Genius
5,309 Posts
Intake and exhaust won't hurt it. But I would definitely leave the truck mostly stock. Sounds like you've got a great running truck. Treat her nice and she'll treat you nicer. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
bb fuel mod = fpr shim

·
Registered
465 Posts
get rid of the superchip cost you money in long run never heard of bb fuel mod but you def can do tymar intake with zoodad and be good to go more air will not harm the 7.3l, but if you are doing more id say do exhaust as well at least take the muffler off. More air in but less out hmmmm you see what im saying also it would be smart to invest in gauges with that tuner id be scared to have superchips on my truck
1) How will the superchip cost him in the long run?? The LONG run? The truck has 400k miles on it and had the superchip its whole life, sure seems like the superchips tuner did pretty damn well, don't ya think? :doh:

2) the BB mod increases the closing force of the fuel pressure regulator. A 400k mile truck probably has a weak spring, however, it most likely has a weak fuel pump as well. If you do the BB mod, be prepared to do the fuel pump mod (i.e. replace the fuel pump)

3) The stock intake and exhaust have quite a bit of flow stock. Its only when we are constantly towing heavy loads or increasing horsepower via fuel and timing (a new tuner) that we see considerable gains. You're fooling yourself if you think you can feel the difference in normal daily driving. Its louder... sure, but louder doesnt equal more power. As is, i would NOT zoodad, tymar, nor replace the exhaust unless you plan on running more aggressive tuning. I would not recommend more aggressive tuning on a 400k mile truck. You will not see an increase in fuel mileage and you may actually lose power.

4) The only thing i do agree with is gauges. They cant hurt. Gauges first, check EGT and boost. If EGTs are high, then and only then mess with the intake and exhaust. if boost is low, check for leaks and uppipes.

5) I'd be scared to have you drive my truck

So to the original poster, take these opinions with a huge grain of salt, especially Shawn's. This forum is full of regurgitated "facts" that have nothing to back them up. You have a strong, reliable truck. Leave it that way.

Your job is to make sure the truck is healthy first - Check fuel pressure, make sure there are no codes, check for boost leaks, check for a clogged exhaust sensor. Check your brakes for proper functionality. Beyond that, dont touch a thing unless you are ready to RAPIDLY decrease your reliability.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I agree with your father. But at the same time, you can never go wrong with a better exhaust and better intake (well on a 7.3).
If you're sharing... I'll take the woman on the upper left! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
i thaught the bb mod was for the OBS? the 6.0 is an upgraded fpr spring.. as far as i know neather one applies to sd 7.3 :dunno:

·
Registered
465 Posts
BB mod is on a 7.3 as well, but i have not seen any benefit. better method is to check fuel pressure with a gauge first and decide if its needed.

·
Registered
394 Posts
So to the original poster, take these opinions with a huge grain of salt, especially Shawn's. This forum is full of regurgitated "facts" that have nothing to back them up. You have a strong, reliable truck. Leave it that way.

Your job is to make sure the truck is healthy first - Check fuel pressure, make sure there are no codes, check for boost leaks, check for a clogged exhaust sensor. Check your brakes for proper functionality. Beyond that, dont touch a thing unless you are ready to RAPIDLY decrease your reliability.
I wouldn't say an upgraded intake and exhaust system would decrease reliablity, in fact, at 400k I'd be willing to bet that stock airbox has already begun to leak and it would probably benefit from a replacement. I think, at 400k, gauges would be a great idea as well-even on a stock motor, as a diagnostic tool on the road. An AIS would be a great addition, a little better flow than stock and much better filtration and sealing will keep the motor even happier. An exhaust on a stock tuned motor will mostly increase whistle and noise, but it can help a little with EGT's. I agree not running an aggressive tune is a good plan, keep it a solid workhorse for another 200-300k.

edit: OP, look into a coolant filter, I've been meaning to do that myself. It can help keep that water pump happy. Dieselsite makes a nice kit for about $100.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, so If i get gauges what should I get, EGT and Boost? What else?

What exactly is EGT and have you seen the intake guys are doing with a piece of 3" tubing and putting a different cone filter on instead of stock intake, what is your feel on all of that?

How do I check for boost leaks, Clogged Exhaust sensor and fuel pressure?

Also do you think that an old fuel pump could be hurting my gas mileage? I'm thinking that its probably a vast of things on this truck, just wouldn't mind getting a few more miles to the gallon with the same performance i get.

After getting the gauges i have seen something called Bigg Boost, i havn't found much info on it and somehow it keeps higher pressure in the turbo, if all checks out on the gauges is this something I could do?

thanks for the input guys.
Jake

·
Registered
465 Posts
EGT, Boost and Transmission temp.

Exhaust gas temp (EGT) tell us how hot your exhaust is running. Running too hot (especially while towing) leads to substantial damages. I wouldnt worry about it until you get the gauges. Then i wouldnt worry about it unless you're towing quite a bit.

Searching this forum will be your best friend for boost leaks, clogs and fuel pressure. All are simple to do and read up on.

Fuel mileage: What is your mileage? Fuel pump will not be a major consumption issue. Tires, lift, brakes and driving habits have more of a factor in fuel consumption. NO TUNER OR CHIP WILL LEAD TO GREAT GAS MILEAGE. Read that last sentence once more...

Big boost? Never heard of it. Wouldn't worry about it. Be very careful on any mods you do to this truck! You will eventually find its first weakness.

·
Banned
4,240 Posts
3) The stock intake and exhaust have quite a bit of flow stock. Its only when we are constantly towing heavy loads or increasing horsepower via fuel and timing (a new tuner) that we see considerable gains. You're fooling yourself if you think you can feel the difference in normal daily driving. Its louder... sure, but louder doesnt equal more power. As is, i would NOT zoodad, tymar, nor replace the exhaust unless you plan on running more aggressive tuning. I would not recommend more aggressive tuning on a 400k mile truck. You will not see an increase in fuel mileage and you may actually lose power.
I hope you are kidding. I was barely able to get 15PSI boost with just a DIY 6637. Not to mention the stock air box is prone to the clamps breaking and sealing poorly.

Put on a 4" exhaust and was able to build over 20PSI without a chip. Had a much easier time going up hills, (less downshifting) and did NOT hurt performance at all. My mileage increase FROM STOCK was about 1.5mpg. (DIY and 4")

Regadless of what YOU think, an engine that can breathe in easier and exhaust easier will perform better, it's pretty common knowledge. :crazy:

OP: An exahust and intake would be fine. I agree with putting gauges, especially Transmission temp. IF you decide to go with a chip, be sure to get custom tunes and know that you are rolling the dice. As long as you take good care of it and keep up on maintenence, it should be fine. Hang out around here theres TONS of good info and pleanty of mods to keep you busy, many of them relatively cheap! :nod:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Put on a 4" exhaust and was able to build over 20PSI without a chip. Had a much easier time going up hills, (less downshifting) and did NOT hurt performance at all. My mileage increase was about 1.5mpg. (DIY and 4")

Regadless of what YOU think, an engine that can breathe in easier and exhaust easier will perform better, it's pretty common knowledge. :crazy:

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
Ohh here we go, i was waiting for you to chime in.

You either had something wrong to begin with or you convinced yourself that you had an increase. I'd love to see how you carefully checked to make sure that the exhaust, and only exhaust gave you 1.5mpg increase. Scientific rigor at its finest vs the power of rationalization.

The exhaust manufacturers would have a hay-day if all of that were true... They would market every second of this incredible discovery that ford overlooked.

Common knowledge dictates that the reason intakes and exhaust make a minimal difference on the dyno is due to safety precautions manufacturers build into their tunes to keep warranties down. This is a common assumption built off of the gas engine industry. They (across all manufacturers) run slightly more fuel to keep lean conditions in control (gas). This helps account for manufacturing variations, differences in driving habits and other variables which vary from customer to customer. Those gas engines which leaned out the A/f by adding I/H/E and modding the FPR were able to squeeze out just a tad more power... at the expense losing the small safety margin engineered.

People then take this philosophy and add it to a stock diesel which is a completely different beast. I will agree that a PROPERLY functioning intake is important. I will also agree that the stock box is engineered to keep costs down AND Fords aftermarket "performance" intake is a nice piece. I will disagree that you will find a noticeable increase in performance by opening these up on a stock engine in daily driving. Dyno? Sure. Ears? Sure. Extreme ends of the engine's power cycle, sure... but seat of the pants daily driving? Nope. Simply look at the dyno curves. Your money is better spent elsewhere, or in addition to other mods.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Audio I read your signature and it says still trying to find people with knowledge of the 7.3l,but you are giving advice? Hmmm weird to me I have to agree with mango on this one due to more will keep your egts down and help the engine and with 400k that truck may just need to breath and why not zoodad more air can't hurt the truck diesel are fuel controlled not like gasser which are air controlled

·
Banned
4,240 Posts
Ohh here we go, i was waiting for you to chime in.

You either had something wrong to begin with or you convinced yourself that you had an increase. I'd love to see how you carefully checked to make sure that the exhaust, and only exhaust gave you 1.5mpg increase. Scientific rigor at its finest vs the power of rationalization.

The exhaust manufacturers would have a hay-day if all of that were true... They would market every second of this incredible discovery that ford overlooked.

Common knowledge dictates that the reason intakes and exhaust make a minimal difference on the dyno is due to safety precautions manufacturers build into their tunes to keep warranties down. This is a common assumption built off of the gas engine industry. They (across all manufacturers) run slightly more fuel to keep lean conditions in control (gas). This helps account for manufacturing variations, differences in driving habits and other variables which vary from customer to customer. Those gas engines which leaned out the A/f by adding I/H/E and modding the FPR were able to squeeze out just a tad more power... at the expense losing the small safety margin engineered.

People then take this philosophy and add it to a stock diesel which is a completely different beast. I will agree that a PROPERLY functioning intake is important. I will also agree that the stock box is engineered to keep costs down AND Fords aftermarket "performance" intake is a nice piece. I will disagree that you will find a noticeable increase in performance by opening these up on a stock engine in daily driving. Dyno? Sure. Ears? Sure. Extreme ends of the engine's power cycle, sure... but seat of the pants daily driving? Nope. Simply look at the dyno curves. Your money is better spent elsewhere, or in addition to other mods.
And like I pointed out, although you have yourself thoroughly convinced, it still means nothing to me. :)

Going from stock, and ALWAYS monitoring my mileage, I had a jump in mileage of about 1-1.5mpg. (With DIY 6637 and 4" Exhaust) I also live in the hills and take the same route every day to work... the truck had an easier time going up hills. (Didn't bog down and lose speed as easy.)

So either the truck just magically fixed itself... (HORAY!:crazy:) ... my calculator broke(Awe:().... or it got better mileage. :thumb:

Pick whichever one gives you a warm funny feeling in your "special place." :hehe:

·
Registered
26 Posts
To the OP, there is a ton of info on here and millions of opinions. Do alot of research and do what feels right to you. Check you Guzzles diesel site. Lots of maintenance tips with pics and DIY mods.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
To the OP, An ais intake, straight exhaust, gauges, good oil and motorcraft filter, and clean fuel are what you need. This will give you many more dependable miles. Hope your new ride serves you well.

·
Registered
199 Posts
i just did a number of very minor mods that in my opinion bear no loss of longevity so i will be speaking on my experience with my 2001 f450 244k

number one i would be thinking about is some sort of ccv mod look it up on here tons of good advice and if you do not like the idea of doing the mod itself i reccomend that you take your intercooler piping and intercooler out and clean it out i pulled over a quart of oil out of these areas oil in the intake just bad idea

while i had this out i also pulled the crossover pipe (the pipe that your intercooler pipes connect to aswell as the turbo) and polished it also deleted the intake air heater element absolutely no function on this vehicle i have done plenty of research and it probably never runs unless you drive in sub zero conditions and it dosent even help with cold starts this will help a very small bit on your performance and will make an intake upgrade more worth the while also the intake heater plug makes a great place to attach your boost guage

next thing i did only because i did not know the history of the vehicle i just bought all 8 glowplugs and a new relay (the relay was bad to begin with) reason is the less time it takes to get to operating temp means less free idling time ie less fuel used

and exhaust i knocked out my stock catalitic converter and the increased flow increases your turbos ability to spool i get all my boost 400-500 rpm sooner and spools much faster when i need it the biggest improvement that i got was the decreased cool down time i like to shut my truck down when the egts have cooled to below 300 degf

one more thing i do not recommend the bigg boost i only see about 2 psi inprovement and im not convinced that it helped me at all

1 - 20 of 43 Posts