Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading about the high idle mod and am very interested. This is the first diesel I have owned but I drive firetrucks for a living and know the benefits of using high idle for them. I was at ford yesterday and the service tech told me two interesting things. First is dont allow these trucks to idle for long periods of time he said they dont like it? Odd to me based on previous experience. plus I have two small children that i dont want to get overheated in Texas if I stop and get fuel or talk to someone. Also he said the high idle was a waste of time and would not help truck at all. Also odd to me based on past experience. I have an 04 f250 lariat 4x4. All stock with no chip.

Any good information would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
590 Posts
Well he's right about the extensive idling...but he didn't give you all the information. If you are going to idle the truck for longer than 30 minutes at a time then your truck, even with the high idle mod, will eventually be clogged up with carbon from the turbo.

But the high idle mod was created for because of people who idle their trucks for longer than normal periods of time and worry about carbon buildup. It is a good idea to have it, in your case, for filling up and keeping the kids cooled off; or in any situation where you will be idling for longer than 5-10 minutes, but less than 30-40 minutes. I'm sure someone else with more knowledge will chime in, but I hope this was helpful none the less. Have a good one!

Sergio

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
the main reasoning behind it is to keep the egt's hot enough to burn off the fuel. If you are not burning all the fuel it will stay in liquid form and can wash the cylinders (lower compression). Now I honestly have mixed feelings on this. I use high idle on my 7.3 to help warm/cool the truck in summer/winter. I don't use it to idle if stationary for short periods of time. I had a 7.3 work truck with 200+ miles on the clock and it spent probably 70% of it's time at idle for several hours. It still runs perfectly fine. :dunno:

·
Registered
435 Posts
OK here is a pic of the PTO controller in my truck. Its sole purpose in life is to kick out high idle for extended periods of time. And this is bad for my truck?

·
Registered
112 Posts
OK here is a pic of the PTO controller in my truck. Its sole purpose in life is to kick out high idle for extended periods of time. And this is bad for my truck?

Is that on the truck stock?

(sorry, I'm a diesel NEWB LoL)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Yes, most all the trucks in AK had them, I only saw a couple that didn't.

·
Registered
551 Posts
One major difference too keep in mind when talking about extended idling with the 6.0 or 6.4 versus the 7.3 is the lack of EGR on the 7.3 so thats one major component that won't get clogged with soot while the truck sits idling.

:icon_ford:

·
Registered
435 Posts
One major difference too keep in mind when talking about extended idling with the 6.0 or 6.4 versus the 7.3 is the lack of EGR on the 7.3 so thats one major component that won't get clogged with soot while the truck sits idling.

:icon_ford:
Good point :thumb:, no EGR on my 7.3, not sure if the 6.0 had these PTO controllers, pretty sure they did.

Was told the trucks on the North Slope would idle from September to April due to extreme cold and no where to plug them all in.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yes, most all the trucks in AK had them, I only saw a couple that didn't.
wow, I'm going to have to look if we have one. Where on the truck are then? under the dash?

Also, what can you do with the box? Raise the idle?

·
Registered
435 Posts
wow, I'm going to have to look if we have one. Where on the truck are then? under the dash?

Also, what can you do with the box? Raise the idle?
They are mounted right under the cup holders on the dash, not the most convenient location but hardly ever touch it, when powered on it provides digital tach, has settings for charge protect the batteries when running extra electric, like campers, inverters, ect..., RPM up and down, and provisions fore wiring an external PTO controller.

I've used mine a few times when stand alone camping while hunting, high idle when cold, All the time I have mine on for the digital tach, warm idle is 668 rpm, cold idle is 720, 2000 rpm is 69 MPH exactly.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Just to confirm and not to :hijack:, my 6.0 doesn't have this PTO thing. I checked earlier this afternoon and didn't see it. That's not to say others don't have it, but I sure have not seen it on any of my other buddies' trucks with the 6.0

Sergio

·
Shaking the Bush Boss
9,740 Posts
It was/ is a factory option. I have one in my truck. Found mine on ebay. Auxiliary Idle Controler. Simple to install in the 7.3 trucks. Plugs into the wiring harness under the dash. There were several types made. 1. All idle controls, pto controls, LCD screen. 2. All idle cntrls, LCD screen. 3. Idle cntrls, pto cntrls, NO LCD screen. 4. (not sure about this one) idle cntrls, No LCD screen.
I havent heard of one for the 6.0.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
i do do it takes about a half an hour and it only costs u a switch its pretty much free and easy mod

·
Registered
112 Posts
They are mounted right under the cup holders on the dash, not the most convenient location but hardly ever touch it, when powered on it provides digital tach, has settings for charge protect the batteries when running extra electric, like campers, inverters, ect..., RPM up and down, and provisions fore wiring an external PTO controller.

I've used mine a few times when stand alone camping while hunting, high idle when cold, All the time I have mine on for the digital tach, warm idle is 668 rpm, cold idle is 720, 2000 rpm is 69 MPH exactly.
is in Behind the dash? as in you have to remove pieces to get at it? or should it be easy accesible? I just looked at teh truck now, I couldn't even see how I would get back there :confused:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just to confirm and not to :hijack:, my 6.0 doesn't have this PTO thing. I checked earlier this afternoon and didn't see it. That's not to say others don't have it, but I sure have not seen it on any of my other buddies' trucks with the 6.0

Sergio
It was/ is a factory option. I have one in my truck. Found mine on ebay. Auxiliary Idle Controler. Simple to install in the 7.3 trucks. Plugs into the wiring harness under the dash. There were several types made. 1. All idle controls, pto controls, LCD screen. 2. All idle cntrls, LCD screen. 3. Idle cntrls, pto cntrls, NO LCD screen. 4. (not sure about this one) idle cntrls, No LCD screen.
I havent heard of one for the 6.0.

ah ok, yea thats what I was just thinking.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
The high idle mod for the 6.0 is just accessing the SEIC (stationary elevated idle control) that is already programmed into the pcm for PTO applications. It is by no means a waste of time, and comes in very handy to warm the truck quickly and keep the A/C running nice and frosty in the summer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts